Distance Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

If you have never been in a long distance relationship, let me be the first to tell you this: It sucks. There is absolutely nothing worse than going to sleep at night without your lover next to you. When you cry and they cannot wipe the tears from your eyes, tell you things are going to be okay, or make you smile. When you have to hear their voice through a distorted, shitty truck stop payphone or an area with little to no cell phone service and the call cuts out just before they can say 'I love you,'. And then they get home, and no matter how much you want things to be the same, something just feels wrong.

It was a warm June night when Jack and I went out on our date. Laying back on the plaid picnic blanket, staring up at the starlit sky. He had been on tour for the past six months, and it was nice to just get some alone time with him. I reached my hand, lacing my fingers through his. He turned his head and gave a warm smile, kissing my forehead. I guess that was the thing I liked about relationships the most, little things like that. “I'm so glad you're home.” I mumbled into his side, taking in a breath, his scent catching my attention. “I am too, I missed you.” He rolled over some, his hand touching my bare knee that the sundress I wore exposed.

“It just didn't feel right, not having you around.” Jack's hand trails up some, touching the smooth flesh and making me shudder. Then, the familiar ring of his phone broke the air filled with the annoyingly-sweet crickets and their songs. “Can't you ignore it?” I pleaded as he fished it out. I couldn't see the screen, but he broke the hand holding as soon as he saw the name. “It's Alex, I've gotta take this.” Getting up to his feet as I sat up, crossing my arms and giving a slight huff. “Fine, go talk to your boyfriend.” He just gives me a smile and gives a word of thanks before rushing off somewhere to talk to him. I don't mind it when he calls, they've been friends long before I came into the picture, and I know how close they are.

Looking out in the general direction where Jack had ran off to, I can't help but give a placid smile. The last four years have been the best of my life. The late night adventures with him, surprise dates, little shout outs during the shows, the alone time we shared, everything was perfect. And to think, it was all because I bumped into him at a coffee shop and he spilled his drink on me. Apparently, he felt a movie date was reciprocation for a ruined dress and a soggy bra.

He came back a few minutes later. “Something up with Alex?”

“Huh? Oh, no. He's fine, just wanted to know when was good for practice.”

“I thought you guys were taking a little bit of a break?” I don't want him running off again, he just got back. “Babe, messing around on guitars and singing the boner song doesn't exactly count as making new music or going on tour again.” He gets down on his knees and pushes my shoulder. “Come on, it's getting late, let's go home.”

Rolling off the blanket and into the soft grass that tickles my knees, we folded the blanket and put it back in the tote bag that I carried. He stood up and extended his hand which I slapped mine too, jumping to my feet and locking my fingers back into the places where they belonged. Something felt weird about his hands. “You sure nothing happened with Alex? Your hands feel sweaty.”

“Just the weather.” Shrugging my shoulders, I break away and wipe my hand on my dress while he rubs his jeans, then our hands meet again.

The walk home is pleasant enough. “Jack,” reaching over and snapping my fingers in front of his face. “You all here tonight?”

“Yeah, I'm just kinda tired.”He yawns, covering his mouth with his free hand.

“Guess you really needed this break, huh?” Bumping him with my shoulder, he stumbles a little. Flashing his patented, makes-your-heart-melt smile, he pushes me playfully and takes off down the side walk. “No fair!” I shout, chasing after him. “I can't run in flip-flops!”