Chapter 1

A/N: A darker fic, where Jack is mute. 

Originally, I was going to write a Jack is Nightlight fic where Jack sort of doesn't talk like Nightlight, but then it spiraled into whatever this is. This might be triggering to some people, so WARNING. Idk if it will, but the warning is still there.

The words are going mute

I can't find the remote to switch them back on

Same goes for those voices in my head

That repeat the things I don't want to hear

-overwhelmed

Silence, ringing around him (he can't escape)

It swallows him, cloaks him, suffocates him (he can't breathe)

It's so loud, it e c h o e s

Echoes around him, filling the space around him and making it empty at the same time (empty and hollow, he's alone and intangible) .

He knows what voices sound like (how can he not, they're in his head, always watching, always talking) and he wonders why he doesn't have one (he has many, but no one can hear them except him, no one will ever hear him) .

He had a voice, once upon a time (time long past, time never paid back) . He can't remember what it sounded like, can't remember the sound of his own laughter ( maybe someone would see you if you just laughed, you know) .

He can't remember when he stopped talking. Maybe it was gradual (slowly stops talking to wind, to the trees, to himself) or maybe he just stopped one day (couldn't find his voice) .

In the back of his mind (past the voices) , he remembers being silent. It feels different somehow (he somehow remembers a comfortable silence, peaceful, unlike the suffocating darkness of this lonely one).

The silence has surrounded him, for to long. He's part of it now, lost in the whispers and the mumbled songs (he is not himself anymore, himself is lost).

Why is there only silence? ( Why can't he stop it?) Why does he submit to it?

(Why does he accept it as the new real?)

-----------------------------------

Wind asks him about it, sometimes.

Sometimes in their ancient language, (the only one he can stand, the only one that doesn't hurt to hear), they will ask him why he doesn't laugh like he used to.

They're worried about their frost child, who's cloaked in loneliness.

They try to ease the silence. They shake the trees, sweep up the leaves, whistle between the trees.

(They stops when her frost child cries out, covering his ears with his hands and screaming)

They worry for Jack. The moon has made him, and left him. They don't know much about humans, or even spirits, but they know this is not healthy (their frost child is growing sick, getting weaker, worse, unhealthier by the day). Their frost child hasn't been seen in so long, hasn't had a person to comfort him. They can only do so much, themselves being more intangible than the others. At least he knows they're there. He used to talk and laugh and dance with them.

(Now he only does his job, and smiles wistfully up at the moon instead of yelling).

They are worried. Worried for their frost child, who used to be so full of life. Worried that he won't ever get better. Their Jack is trapped, and they can't help him.

(He needs physical contact, and they can't give it to him).

( They can't help him)