Chapter 5

Game of Survival - Ruelle

''Hm. Maybe I should try using this one'', I mumbled, showing Jenny a shade of red from my phone. ''It's nice I guess, but isn't it a bit too dusky for a fall scenery?'' her eyes scrutinized the color as she squinted slightly, for she refused to wear her thick spectacles at school. I smiled at her comical expression. Moments like these were all that was left of the old Jenny who wore said thick glasses and danced to dusty cassettes all night long.

 ''You've been smiling a lot recently, and don't think I haven't noticed your recent texting addiction. Is it that new app I sent you?. Oooh, don't tell me!. You met a guy, didn't you? Yas gurl you on fiyaaah!. Tell me them spicy deets this instant!'' Jenny squealed out loud. The homeroom teacher glanced up warningly and I shushed the drama queen beside me. She just giggled as I frowned at her silly antics. 

''No, I have not. Don't just randomly jump to conclusions like that. And I don't even want that app, I'm gonna delete it the second I get home, so don't get your hopes up''. I smirked as her face fell.''What?, did you really expect me to hook up with some random dude I met on some suspicious website?'' Jenny scowled at that. 

''Yeah well, you're not a part of the QGFP agreement, are you?. Yesterday Stacey walked up to me in the mall and actually demanded that I hurry up and get things over with Sam. Like hello? ever heard of privacy girl. Her sass really pisses me off sometimes. As if I was gonna fall in love with them'' she huffed, and I almost missed the hidden reference.

 ''Uh-huh'', I replied, playing off the slight worry that was gnawing at me. But I knew she wasn't ready to talk about it, maybe never would be. I couldn't possibly ask her to remember something she so desperately wished to forget, best friend or not. Coming out wasn't always the best thing to do, and I of all people knew that best. 

''That's all on you though. Who even makes a deal with all those wannabes for the first pick on the guy?'' I continued, and she glared at my poker face. 

''You know very well why I made that rule. God forbid I get herpes from one of those 'wannabes'. I will not die from high school AIDS, no matter what. And if I have to make a freaking rule, then so be it''. she scowled in disgust, her nose scrunching adorably. 

I burst into hysterics and almost dropped my phone as I clutched the desk, trying not to fall off as I laughed. The homeroom teacher shushed me and I muffled my giggles in my palm. Jenny just watched me, unamused by my outburst.

'' AIDS is no laughing matter, Makayla. It's almost as bad as cancer. You really should join me for my monthly checkups. Just in case Drake went somewhere he shouldn't have if ya know what I mean''. I stared at her, eyes wide in shock at the blunt suggestion. She knew very well I'd never let Drake go there. Heck, the guy would be lucky if I let him anywhere near my room, forget all the way in.

 ''And do take the Queen Gets First Pick rule more seriously, will you?. It breaks morale''. she continued, ignoring my spluttered protests.

 ''Fine'', I hissed, grumbling incoherently as the bell rang. While Jenny packed her bag, I went and apologized to the homeroom teacher Miss Willson, who also taught us Arts and Literature. She waved it off, smiling in that elderly good-natured manner.