Girl Meets Flaws

"Graduation and awards night is coming up. I am very proud of this class. Several of you will be recognized for your achievements throughout the year."

It was time for the Awards night. I was receiving the music award. "Awards are a scam! A girl like me never had a chance, Matthews. Never had a chance," Maya had just screamed at him. I had to hold my breath to make sure I didn't scream in laughter. Maya looked at Riley on the opposite side of her.
"All right, I'll do it, but it's ridiculous. It's a scam, Matthews! She never had a chance!"

"Maya will be receiving the griff Hawkins totally cool award," Mr Matthews had said, whilst Maya made no reaction.
"Maya, you just found out you won the totally cool award, yet you just sit there? Oh, you're being cool. Why won't you rub off on me?"

"And our two finalists for the scholar athlete award are Lucas Friar And Billy Ross," Mr Matthews said. I clapped my hands for Lucas but cheered like mad for my boyfriend, which bugged everyone in the classroom. Me and Billy would be celebrating our 5 month anniversary in two days and I am so happy with him.

"I hope you're ready for some competition, dude," Billy said when turning to Lucas.
"Oh, well, you know how I hate competition," Lucas replied.
"Hey, golden boys, you wanna hop down from your cloud of awesomeness? You're making us normals feel bad," I said turning to Billy and him winking at me.

"Yeah," Maya and Riley said back to them.
"Right after our handshake of awesomeness." They started to do their handshake which ended with them shaking their shoulders.
"Every day," Maya had said causing me to laugh.

"Girls should have their own handshake of awesomeness," Riley said.
"What would it be?"
Maya and Riley wrapped their legs, flipped their hair and said 'Stop it'.

"Farkle, you are being awarded the Joseph T. R. Epstein confidence award. Congratulations. Farkle?" I turned to the desk that sat behind me where Farkle usually sat and noticed it empty except a speaker and a microphone on there.

"Farkle can't come to his desk right now. If you have a question for Farkle, say, "one;" a comment, say, "two;" billing questions, "three"."

"One. Where are you?"
"You have selected 'three'."
"No, I said, one," Mr Matthews said, now screaming down the microphone.
"Sorry, we are experiencing unusually high call volume. Your call will be answered in approximately - 35 - Minutes."
"Representative!"

"What is this? Farkle's never missed a class in his life," Mr Matthews pointed out. Riley had just raised her hand.
"Yes?"
"Everybody's getting an award but me. What good is having you as my teacher if the fix ain't in?"
"I'm sorry, Riley."

"Riley, you don't need a trophy to make you feel good about yourself," Mr Matthews had just said to his daughter.
"Yes, I do. Sometimes I feel kind of invisible," Riley replied to him, not expecting to get a response from Farkle's machine.
"Sometimes you want to be invisible, Riley, believe me."

It was after class and we were looking for Farkle.
"I looked in the library. He's not there," I told them all as Billy came up and wrapped an arm around my waist.
"Hey, guys, I checked the ball field. No Farkle," he said stupidly.
"You looked on the baseball field for Farkle? Billy, are you even trying?"
"Not really," he said to me as he gave me a kiss and left.

"Troubled lad, I now release you to the hands of your caring friends, 'cause they have time for this," Janitor Harley said, pushing Farkle out of the closet.
"You wanna tell us what's going on here, buddy?"
"Are you my buddy?"
"What?"
"Spill it, Farkle," I had finally said between Fakle and Lucas going back and forth.
"Somebody made fun of my turtlenecks," He replied to us.

"Your turtlenecks?"
"Yeah, somebody said they make me weird," He said.
"You are weird," I said, trying to snap him back into reality.
"He doesn't mean that," Riley said to Farkle.
"Sure, I do. He knows he is. He embraces it. But you already know that, Farkle. That's what makes you unique," I said.
"What good is being unique if somebody knows you're really not?"