|| Chapter 7 ||

After we had walked some more, as the sun began to set we found another large pile of rubble and slabs that would work for some shelter for the night. We set up our things as Frypan and Minho started a fire. The sky grew dark, and we sat around the fire. Nobody speaking a word. Aris walked over, throwing some more wood into the fire before sitting down next to Newt. I lay beside Teresa, leaning my head against Newt's chest.

"I thought we were supposed to be immune," Minho muttered.

"Not all of us, I guess," Teresa spoke.

"If Winston can get infected...we should assume so can the rest of us," Newt advised.

"I never thought I'd say it...I miss the Glade," Frypan admitted.

As we sat in the silence of the night, watching the fire, Thomas stood up from his spot walking out from under our makeshift shelter. We watched as he sat down outside, looking out into the land.

"I've got it," Newt spoke. I sat up so Newt could stand. I sighed as I watched Newt walk over to my brother. I could tell he was distraught about something. After a couple of minutes, I saw Newt pat Thomas on the back as he stood up, walking back over to the group. I stood up from my spot, wrapping my blanket around myself as I walked toward Newt.

"How's he doing?" I asked.

"Just feeling doubtful." I nodded. Newt brushed past me, and I looked over at Thomas who was picking at his fingers. I walked over to him, sitting beside him.

"Thomas, they don't know what WICKED really is. They controlled everything we did and we didn't even know it. We were playing their game; we were their pawns. But we're free now. They don't understand that. They thought that the facility was freedom, but it was far from it-"

"Are we really free though? I mean for one it seems like they'll be trying to find us forever. Always trying to drag us back. We don't even know what they want from us. They're afraid of what we'll do if we find out. Char, we don't even know the half of what we went through. Our entire lives were just erased. Taken from us like they didn't matter." I sighed. I leaned my head on his shoulder.

"What we did doesn't matter anymore Thomas. They obviously didn't need us anymore wherever we were. We're making new memories and the old ones that are important will find a way back to us."

"What did they do to you and Teresa?"

"More like what they did to her and maybe did to me. All I know is that they wanted to restore my memories. Ava just wanted me because she thinks I could be of assistance. Give them an advantage with whatever they're doing. She wants me for the success I could bring. Finding this cure or something."

"So you think Teresa has her memories back and she's just pretending?"

"I don't know. You'd have to talk with her to find out. She might tell you. She just keeps trying to persuade me to give in to WICKED without actually telling me anything. They controlled everything we went through and everything we did in the Maze, Thomas. They can't be trusted. I mean I don't even know how to make sure we aren't being controlled right now."

"I don't think we'll ever know the difference. I just wish we could be given a reason for all of this without having to surrender first."

"Yeah. Eventually, we'll find a place where people won't want to use us for experiments. Where maybe someone will give us some answers. We just have to keep moving forward. We can't look back."

"I know. I just can't help but feel like maybe our friends would still be alive if we would've just stayed. I mean how much more harm could they really have done to us?"