Chapter 1

Story dedicated to: niamsvinyl

~*~

Niall worked late shifts after going to school for a few hours in the morning, only getting small bits of rest that keep him stationary and motivated. The workload he's received always remained major, yet he found himself enjoying it at opportune moments when nothing seemed to faze him in the worst ways.

His hard work pays off with the grades he gets, the tips he receives at the small coffee diner, and friends that always commend him for always being there for them when he has the time. Everybody loved Niall.

He had a charismatic personality that drew every person imaginable in. Along with his charming demeanor, he held an image above his shoulders that not a lot of people had to deal with. Many struggled with day to day basics, but he struck an agreement with his father to excel in school whilst holding a stable job.

Years passed and he did that with only a few bumps here and there, calling his father up one night during a thunderstorm as he just finished an assignment.

“Dad! Hey, I just wanted to get ahold of you since I'm nearly done with my final semester, and I know exactly what I want to do for the future. Taking orders and washing dishes won't be permanent.” He earns a hearty laugh from Bobby, making him smile.

“Good to hear that, son. Your mum and I will be there for you when the weather dies down. It has been strange the past few days and nobody knows why. Stay cautious in the streets for a while, yeah? No use getting in a car crash and ruining what you've worked so hard and well for, right?” Niall nods to himself.

“Of course. Nothing nor anybody is going to bring me down, and I'll make sure of it.” He smiles to himself and feels content. “See you soon, dad, gotta get some sleep and hopefully drown out this thunderstorm that's chaotic. I love you.” He hears Maura awe.

“We love you too, son. Stay safe and keep on pushing for greatness.” Niall hears a subtle beep after his father's voice then sets his phone down on the bedside table, lips pursed in thought of how he'd sleep.

He decides to step down into his small kitchen to grab some water after acquiring some sleeping medication, having struggled with insomnia before, and stares out into a window when consuming it altogether.

The barren, small town appears dark, illuminating every now and again because of frequent strikes of thunder, causing his heart to react in fear each time. He never enjoyed harsh noises that relate to thunderstorms but grew up enough to handle them for a long period of time.

His eyes focus on a nearby forest filled with trees and a plentiful amount of animals that cowered in fear from the loud strikes. Niall felt bad for them but knew they'd turn out okay by tomorrow morning.

Before he could turn around to head into his bedroom, he hears a loud, hypnotic howl that keeps him looking straight into the darkened greenery, heart pounding against his chest at how loud and clear it was.

Everybody knew how scary and dangerous it would be to go into those woods, hearing stories of how people got lost and never came back, but Niall learned to avoid those stories and mark them off as just rumors. He didn't notice a particularly curious wolf that peered into his home though, strange and strong gaze peering at him from atop a rock that Niall couldn't take notice of.

He moved back into his bedroom after a short sigh escapes past his lips, wanting summer to come around for a brighter appearance along with warm weather. He got tired of dealing with moist air and chilly winds after suffering through winter, so a calm, sunny feel would make him feel a lot better physically and mentally.