Chapter 1

I sit at my desk on a Monday evening. I quickly scratch under my orange collar with my right paw. I feel an idea pop into my head of what to write next, I smile. When I type quickly my claws make it sound really loud, it's an old keyboard with clunky keys which makes it louder. I hear my boss walk into the room and up to my desk, he has a cherry scent. I look up from my screen at him. He's a large ox with noticeable horns on top of his gray fur. He may look intimidating but he's a sweet guy, he lets me follow my dreams of being a writer.

"Kodiak" he says in a soft tone, "it's 6:30." I smirk at him and he smiles back. He knows I don't want to leave, I love writing.

"Yeah, I know Mr. Turf. I'll start getting ready," I sign out of my computer and shut down. I grab my phone and work bag as I stand up out of my rolling chair. Mr. Turf smirks at me and we walk out of my office together. When we walk out of the building he locks the door behind us. "Where ya heading tonight?"

"Hmm," Mr. Turf thinks for a minute and replies "I'm just gonna head home and watch a movie with my family, the normal night stuff, what about you?"

"I'll either go straight home to see AJ or just go to the bar," I sigh. We walk up to our cars as we park next to each other. We have a good friendship outside of work. Some people see their bosses as superior and above them but we see each other as equal, one of us just has a promotion. "I'll just go home tonight. See you tomorrow."

"See ya," he replies as he hops into his car. I unlock mine and climb in, I have a worn out blue Subaru. It may look useless but it works. I open my compartment on the side of my door and find my flask. I take a swig of the vodka I keep in it. Just one sip today, Kodiak. I think to myself.

I plug my key in and start the engine. I slowly pull out of the parking lot and start the drive to my apartment. I get there and park my car, turning off the engine. I wonder how AJ's day was. I climb out of my car and lock it. I walk into my building and up to my home. He's already home so I don't have to unlock the door.

I open the door and see AJ. He stands tall in front of me, he's a large lion, much larger than a small husky like me. I look up into his eyes and he smirks. "Dinner's ready," I sniff the air and smell the chicken legs on the kitchen counter. He notices me smell the food and says smirking, "smell good?"

"Uhh yeah," I reply with a nervous smile. We walk over to the counter and grab a few chicken legs in our paws. I pull out two plates out of the covered above the counter. We have a small apartment, we tried to make it look as modern as possible. The house is a baby yellow and blue theme, everything looks light but it feels dark every time I walk in. The only mono color in the house is the gray floors and covereds. I place my chicken legs on the top plate and hand AJ the one underneath.

We walk over to the couch and place our plates on the wooden coffee table in front of the baby blue couch. Sometimes it annoys me how color coded this apartment is. AJ sits next to me and wraps his arm behind me along the back of the couch.

I pick up a chicken leg and hold it up to my nose. I get a deep awareness of the detail built into this meal that AJ has prepared for us. The egg, flour, and spices to make up the crusty outside wrapped around the white meat. I take a bite and enjoy the flavors in my muzzle.

"Taste good enough for you, Kod?" AJ looks down at me and I feel my body shake. He looks at me with a confused expression. He doesn't realize how terrified of him I am.

"Yeah, I'm good" I reply, trying my best not to stutter. He shoves his drumsticks down his throat, shallowing everything. I don't get how his stomach can handle the bones. I wrap my lips around each drumstick and suck the meat off the bones. I eat two at a time until they're all gone.

AJ runs his hand down my back to my tailbone. I shudder as he runs his hand further down to my fluffy tail. AJ grabs my tail with both hands and begins to slowly stroke it. "Are you in the mood, Kod?" He asks with a sly grin on his face.

"I-I uh... n-no, AJ. Not tonight." I respond with a nervous laugh.

"Oh, c'mon, Kodiak! He haven't done it in a week!" AJ says in a stern pissed off voice. He raises one of his large clawed paws, ready to strike. Before he does anything I snap my jaws at him and give a warning snarl. Ignoring my snarl, he strikes my face. I feel warm blood trickle down my cheek. I instinctively bite his shoulder, hard enough to draw blood. I give you too many warnings, AJ. I think to myself as I step back. I lick the blood off my lips and he holds his right paw against his left shoulder in pain. "Goddammit, Kodiak! I'm going to fix this up in our room! You've been a bad boy! Your lucky I can't make you sleep outside you asshole!"

I'll just sleep on the couch tonight.