After the Extreme

Bethany slowly walked out of the kitchen, wiping her hands on her fabric leggings as she finished setting down the dinner plates on the table for two.  It wasn't a big meal, just some glazed ham with mashed potatoes and green beans.  There was also one major ingredient that she had placed there for the night, red wine.  

She didn't jump when she heard the door open.  After all, she had heard his footsteps coming down the hall a few seconds before. In a uniform pattern. "Beth?"  He said opening and closing the door behind him.  "I'm back."  

"Hey." Bethany smiled as she rounded the corner to see her husband, Dr. Spencer Reid, dressed in khakis, a striped button-up, a tie, and a sweater vest, putting his bookbag down by the door.  His face rose to a half smile as he walked into the kitchen.  Bethany took a few steps towards him as well.  "How was the trip?"

Spencer smiled as he leaned down and gave his young wife a small kiss.  "Exhausting, but good.  We got him." He said with a sigh.  But, his eyes soon wandered over his wife's head to the small table inside the kitchen.  "What's all this?"

Bethany looked back at the meal then back at her genius husband.  "It's for our anniversary dinner." She said as she moved her long wavy hair behind her ear.  "It's small, but..."

"No, no.  It's perfect."  Spencer said smiling.  He slowly grabbed her hand and pulled her gently into the kitchen to where she was going to sit.  He pulled the chair out for her and she hesitantly sat down.  "You know you didn't have to do this."

Bethany smiled.  "I wanted to."  She said as she watched Spencer pick up his fork and knife.  

"But, you had no idea if I would even be back by tonight,"  Spencer said as he put a piece of glazed ham in his mouth.  "It would have gone to waste."

Bethany smiled as she put a small mouth full of mashed potatoes.  "No, it wouldn't.  I'd give it to the couple right above us.  You know they would take any food we'd offer, for some odd reason."  

"There are actually many reasons for that,"  Spencer said not looking up from his plate.  "It could be that they want to be nice and not decline something their neighbors offer, or they're hiding the fact that they might be struggling with money and accept whatever we offer simply because any money they can save, they do."  

Bethany smiled slightly.  "I guess."  She said as she took a small bite of the ham.  "So, how's your team doing?  How's Agent Gideon doing now that he's off of medical leave?" 

Spencer cleared his throat.  "He seems to be doing really well.  But, I think since he's been gone, it's allowed him to let his guard down.  He seems to be getting emotionally attached to the victims and to finding the unsub."  Bethany sighed and nodded.  Spencer slowly slid his hand across the table to where his hand landed on top of hers.  "Hey, what's going on?"

Bethany sighed.  "The job is going a little worse lately.  My boss got mad at me because I told him I have an exam and have to take a day off in three weeks."  Bethany smiled at Spencer.  "But, it's okay.  I'll work a few extra days before then and it'll be okay.  It's not like he notices when I'm gone anyways." 

"I can't wait till you get a better job,"  Spencer said as he ate his green beans.  "You deserve better.  I'm getting fed up with your boss, and I'm not even the one working for him." 

Bethany giggled a little.  "Sure.  Working in a detective's office can be fun and entertaining, but I really want something bigger... and different.  Saving people and helping get the guys who are doing the worst crimes in the country."  She said as she rested her chin on her hand and smiling at herself.  "It just sounds really great." 

Spencer smiled back at his young wife.  "Sounds perfect for you."  He said as he set his fork and knife down and stood up.  

Bethany's gaze followed him to the point she turned her entire body.  "Where are you going?" She watched Spencer walk to the other end of the kitchen that had a small radio on a table and clicked the 'power' button.  Soft indie music started to play quietly.  "Why did you do that?" 

Spencer smiled as he took Bethany's hand.  She stood up as his hand went around her waist and laced themselves around her back.  "When's the last time we danced?" 

Bethany blushed as she wrapped her arms around his neck even though he was a foot taller than her.  "Spencer, why would you ask that question even though you have an eidetic memory?" 

Spencer smiled softly as his lips landed on her forehead.  "Fair point considering last time we danced was 365 days, 2 hours, 34 minutes ago, at our wedding during our first dance."  

Bethany giggled softly as she rested her head on his chest as they swayed.  "You don't have seconds for that?"

"As of right now, it's 39 seconds but when I gave you the time, it was approximately 25 seconds,"  Spencer said very matter-of-factly.  

Bethany sighed into his chest.  "Do you get a few days off?"  Bethany felt Spencer's hand come up to the back of her hand, pushing her hair to her neck.  It made her feel at ease knowing that her husband had made it home safely.  She would rest easy with Spencer next to her.  

"I have a day,"  Spencer said a little quiet.  Almost to where Beth couldn't hear him.  "I wish it was more."  He said as he gently rested his chin on her head.  "If only I could be in two places at once."  

Bethany looked up at him.  "Hey."  She said putting her hand on his face.  "Don't beat yourself up.  We're married, have steady jobs, decent income for our ages, you're home safe... we're stable.  I couldn't ask for more right now."  Bethany said as she raised herself onto her tippy-toes to kiss him.  

Spencer smiled as he kissed her back for a split second.  "Okay."  He mouthed softly.  "You would tell me if you were unhappy, right?" 

Bethany nodded.  "Of course I would.  We're married, there are no secrets." 

Spencer nodded as he smiled.  Both continued to sway to the music for the next few minutes and then went to finish their dinner.  They were happy to be together, happy to be where they were in life, and just ready for what life threw at them next.