Chapter 13: Stressed

I sit in my car and sigh rubbing my face. Thankfully I didn't find anything in Michael's office. I was so scared of what I might have found... but there was nothing, and I looked through everything. I guess that's one good thing... but how can I be so sure hes not hiding something some where else? I start making my way back to work. I shouldn't really be going back in the mood I'm in, but I cant take the rest of the day off. I have too much to do, but now this is all I can think about.

I head up to my office and see Michael outside my door. He looks at me and smiles.

"I was just about to see if you were in here. Where have you been? I left you a couple of texts."

"Shopping." I say trying to keep myself calm.

I walk past him and open the door. Michael follows me in and chuckles lightly.

"Yeah but that was over an hour ago."

"I lost track of time."

I sit down at my desk. He gives me a look.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Michael I'm late back. I need to start catching up with my work, or I'll be behind again." I say not looking at him.

"You're obviously pissed off with something."

"I'm busy." I say looking at him blank faced.

I really wanna go off on him. I'm trying so hard not to scream at him. He gives me a look. Theres a knock on my door.

"Uh sorry." Scott says interrupting us. "Is it ok to talk Layla?"

"No-"

I cut Michael off.

"Yeah, come in." I nod.

Scott looks at Michael and then at me as he steps in. Michael squints his eyes and I make no eye contact with him. Scott walks over to my desk. Michael shakes his head and leaves my office.

"Sorry if I interrupted."

"No, you didn't." I shake my head.

He smiles.

Throughout the rest of the day I try my best to focus on my work. The day finally comes to an end and I sigh. I want to talk to Michael alone when we get home. Maybe it's best If i dont pick Jayden up from Hayleys straight away because I wanna go mad at Michael if what Jayden said is true. Lily has her gymnastic class after school... so she wont be there either. I look up from my laptop and see Michael lean against my office door.

"I'm just going to pick Lily up for gymnastics."

"Ok." I nod.

We go quiet.

"Ok..." He says. "I'll see you at home."

"Yeah." I say putting down my laptop.

He gives me one last look before walking off. I roll my eyes and get my stuff together. I text Hayley to ask her if she can have Jayden for a little bit longer, and give him some dinner. I really dont know what I'm gonna say to Michael. I leave my office and go to my car, making my way home.

I park and go inside, taking the pack of cigarettes with me. I finger comb through my hair and tie it up. I pour myself a glass of water and take some headache tablets. 10 minutes later I hear the front door open. Here we go. Michael walks in to the kitchen and looks at me.

"Hey."

"Hi." I say quietly. "How was Lily?"

"Shes fine." Michael nods.