8. One fine day

Fast-forward ten years to a living room in LA where a whiff of the heavenly smell of kimchi fried rice lingered in the air. Amber had learnt to cook it years ago through her Youtube channel, "What the pineapple".

She came out of the kitchen and clapped excitedly to get everyone's attention especially a special someone sitting cross-legged on the floor. "Look, it's Uncle Eric," said Amber pointing to a huge television screen as her little baby niece began sucking on a wooden block in front of her. A dozen other children of varying ages stopped playing board games to stare at the image on screen.

On screen, Eric, in a coat and tie, sat comfortably on a leather chair across from a politician, he had always dreamt of interviewing. Over the years he had gone from covering culture and travel news stories for the CNN to feature stories. The doorbell rang; Amber opened the door; and three ex-Kpop stars piled in to join the dozens of others already gathered to watch Eric live on CNN. They were excited for him and each of them had been part of his music projects that had captured worldwide attention and been part of a wave of changes for social justice not just in Korea, Asia but also here in America.

"Ssh, everyone stop talking it is starting," said Ailee. "I'm so proud of him. Can you remember how when we were younger we did the Pokemon song and other crazy stuff together? It's hard to imagine what we were thinking then" Ailee had adopted four active primary school aged orphans from North Korea who thanks to her now sang like angels. She and Amber were living in a neighbourhood that had become a creative hub. Together, in LA, they had their own music and dance studio that followed a social enterprise model. Funded by fees that wealthy parents were willing to pay for lessons, they could afford to gather from many communities socially disadvantaged kids to attend their free After School Children's programs. Together, they had supported each other through singleness, being international celebrities and now to mothering abandoned Korean children. Thankfully, the days where their looks were all that mattered were long over.

"That boy doesn't seem to age at all," said Brad visiting from Korea. "Any idea who fans are shipping him with now?"

"Ssh, you forgot. We are recording a reaction video, remember?" said Amber pointing to the camera stationed in the corner of the room like a decorative item. Others whose reactions were also being recorded, were her friends who were part of her "Shake that Brass" music video. In their own homes, in other parts of the world, their comments would add layers of support to Eric's interview. After watching they would post their recordings of their reactions within the same week in order influence maximum engagement. 

Eric's friends from all over the world would do the same --Kevin from Japan, Prince Mak from Australia, Jemin from Korea, Eddie Redmayne from London and other influencer friends. Loyal global fans of Nam Nation were also watching with intent on giving him a shoutout. They had stayed with him through his transformation from comic entertainment and singer to serious songwriter and social commentator. Many had matured from teenage to adulthood as he took on more complex issues and became nuanced.

Amber's phone beeped. Henry appeared on Amber's Facetime. She sighed. All these years and not much had changed, he was still interrupting her at important moments.

"Hey, I can't get any reception here. Can you record it for me, please?" said Henry his voice crackling.

"Yup and be careful," said Amber rolling his eyes. He was on one of those adventure reality-shows again. Finally, he was using his many musical skills to connect people together.

"Okay. Love you. Bye," said Henry fading off.

Amber shook her head as she flipped her phone. "How did we ever land up being shipped together?" she wondered. Then again those were the days where they shipped her with everyone she was friends with. Boy or girl. Unlike Eric who was the nation's perfect boyfriend, she was just shippable.

Eric's voice on screen focused everyone's attention again. It was raspy and grew hoarse at points but it was clear and easily understood. He had come to terms with the idea that he might never get back the smooth, honey- like quality his voice used to have. On good days, he consoled himself that his current tonal quality was more suited to the topics he dealt with now. On bad days, he missed being on stage horsing around, mesmerizing a crowd, the pin drop silence as the music took over and then at the end of the performance the appreciative applause. Yet, he was thankful for his friends, family and God's guiding presence through each hurdle towards recovery.

"Sir, do you know the song "Someday at Christmas" sung by Stevie Wonder and Andra Day?" asked Eric from the recording studio.

"Yes," came the reply.

"Do you think it is possible in our life times to see that happen? A world of peace where people share and care?" asked Eric to the distinguished guest in his interview.

"Well son, only if we make it happen one day at a time...one fine day at a time," came the answer.

Eric's turned and looked directly into the camera and grinned. Amber, Ailee and all his friends grinned back.

THE END

_______________

Thank you for reading my fan fiction about two amazing celebrities and their fictional journey. Wishing the real Amber Liu and Eric Nam heaps of blessings always.

This story is dedicated to the 50 who died on the 15th March 2019 in a massacre in Christchurch NZ by a white supremacist. Also to the young women in South Korea who are victims of the Burning Sun Scandal and other similar situations where the evil and powerful prey on the voiceless . And the many others who died in the bombings in Sri Lanka.