01

I tread to my window seat and relax on the comfy pillows that support me. With a coffee enclosed in my jumper covered my hands, I let out a prolong sigh and watch the rain saturate the city.

The Chicago weather never fails to sooth me. The tranquil aura that encloses me, companied by the soft patter of rain that glides across the foggy windows. That sense of security that comes with being snuggled in blankets while reading a book. The serenity of the rain pelting on the windows when I'm consumed in bed.

It comforts me.

I didn't receive much comfort and security when I lived with my family, with him. You slowly learn to not dwell on it. Soon enough, the weather provided the affection I desired.

Each year my desire for someone to maintain the love and devotion that I crave so much, gets overbearing.

I often look down at the city that is ranged below me. I observe each person that walks by hoping they are my other half. I've spent my life trying to find my source of happiness. Consuming all of my days searching for the one. It's almost as if it's an obsession.

But you can't blame me.

My whole life has lacked of love. Simple love that my family couldn't provide.

I yearn for all this love but I know it will never happen. I'm the only one of my kind that I know.

It sounds so stupid "My kind."

I refer to myself like I'm some type of animal. Well do you know anyone else with mind compulsion, Delilah? My mind taunts me.

No.

That's the simple answer really, I know no one who is like me. I'm just lonely Delilah.

I should probably introduce myself.

My name is Delilah. I'm not the typical teenager; far from it. I left home when I turned eighteen; I needed to escape. I'm the odd one out of the bunch you could say, I was always different. It wasn't until my first year of high school that I learnt I was a bit more than odd. That's when their voices appeared.

I don't know who these voices belong to or what they want, but they whisper horrid things into my mind. They tell me to hurt the ones I'm surrounded by, to make them suffer.

That's when I could start sensing others emotions.

I could look into someone's eyes and read their thoughts.

I could control and manipulate someone just by looking into their eyes.

It was hard for me to comprehend, I had no one to share my problems with. To share my mind with.

I knew I couldn't tell anyone anyway. I would surely be locked up in some institution and be watched upon.

It's hard to hide, I never know when the voices will attack my thoughts and expose me to everyone. But somehow, I manage.

A loud toot snaps me out of my thoughts and I look down at the street below me. A big moving truck has parked on the opposite side of the street, the driver yelling at some passing car for cutting him off.

New neighbours, perfect. I think sarcastically to myself.

A black car pulls up behind the van. A young boy gets out from the drivers seat pulling his glasses over his eyes.

He looks nervous as he looks around. He pulls his hoodie over his head to cover his face more. He jumps when the men, who I assume to be moving all of his furniture into the loft across from me, try to capture his attention. Once he replies to the men, he looks around skeptically once more and quickly dashes inside.

Weird. I think to myself.

Then a thought hits me.

This could be your shot at your perfect love story! One side of my mind says.

Have you forgotten that you're a psychopath, Delilah. The other sides rebuts.

With a disappointed sigh, I stand from my seated position and walk to the kitchen to put my empty cup in the sink.

Both of my palms grip the counter and my head falls between my shoulders. I huff in frustration.

Come on, Delilah.

I contemplate for a couple of minutes whether I should go and introduce myself or not.

"Hi, I'm Delilah and I can read your mind."

I decide against it and return to my position on the window seat. I pull my legs to my chest and wrap my arms around my shins and gaze upon the beautiful city.

Hours slip away. The once bright sky was now a welcoming black decorated with stars. Still in the same position, the light from the loft across me turns on and pulls me back to painful reality.

My new neighbour walks around all the unpacked boxes and walks towards the window looking down at the street. He holds a cup while clothed in sweat pants and a black shirt.

I can't seem to take my attention of this mysterious boy, he has something about him that is different.

After a couple of minutes, his gaze slowly moves towards me and his eyes lock with me.

It's the perfect scenario, a "Love at first sight" moment.

But that was not the case.

Naturally reading his mind something caught my attention.

He was also reading mine.

His eyes went wide and he dropped his cup which smashed on the ground that he stood on. I took a step back my hand flying up to my mouth in shock.

This can't be possible.

____________________________________________________

So I got some good feedback on my prologue which inspired me to continue writing. I will try to update twice a week for any one would continue to read this lol. Exams are coming up but ill make time to write. I hope you enjoyed this chapter, sorry if there is any mistakes. :-)

Please vote and comment, that will give me inspiration to update quicker.

Have a good week.

-Aisling