XVI ~ Rebecca

All my dreams felt so real.

Like they weren't dreams, but memories. But that doesn't make sense, does it?

They started out as memories I knew were real, and then morphed into something that didn't seem... right.

I was walking beside Principal Lee, on my little ten-year-old feet. We stopped in front of a large building with freshly painted baby-blue walls. To my right, a boy was being beaten up by a black-haired girl.

"What'd you say about my glasses, punk?" said the little girl as she rubbed his face on the ground.

"Beatrix! Let him go," ordered Lee.

The girl shoved the kid down to the ground one last time before getting up. "I'm not sorry," she said, brushing her hair out of her face.

"I've stopped expecting you to be," said Lee. "Beatrix, meet Rebecca. Say hi."

The girl looked at me and frowned. "Why are your eyes blue?"

"I- I don't know."

"My aunt had blue eyes," she said. "She's dead." Weirdo.

I remembered not liking Bebe. But we were placed in the same dorm, so we grew close over the years. I still have no idea how that happened.

My dream slowly changed. The scene distorted into that of a house. I didn't recognise it. A pained shriek reached my ears, through a door left ajar.

I stumbled while running to the door. My heart pumped faster; I could feel the blood rushing to my head. I peeked through the door and saw a large study, with a delicately carved wooden desk and a beautiful chandelier in the centre of the ceiling.

A brunette in a white dress was on the floor. A man stood over her, gun in hand. I could only see his eyes; the rest of his face was covered. "I loved you, Danielle. You betrayed me. You deserve this." He reached down and grabbed a fistful of her hair, yanking her head up.

She looked up straight at him, defiant. "This isn't you. It's Zelner whispering in your ear. He's the reason our marriage is falling apart."

"You're the reason, Dani. Not me, not Scott Zelner, you. You lied to me from the beginning. You gave birth to that abomination. You spied for the rebels. This is your fault."

She struggled to free herself. "Kill me then, you bastard! I was doing what was right. You're the one killing innocents."

He shoved her to the ground again. "They are not innocents. They're abominations of nature, and we must kill them before they kill us." He opened a drawer, pulled out a mag and loaded his gun.

The woman struggled to sit up. "Kill me if you want, but don't you dare touch her."

He walked to her menacingly. My stomach twisted in fear. "Goodbye, Dani." He closed his eyes and pulled the trigger. Five shots, point blank, to the chest. She was dead in a moment.

I let out a small scream. The man turned and saw me. His eyes widened in fear as he ran towards me. My feet were glued in place. I was too afraid to move.