10| Announcement

Jack swallows his breath as his gaze lands on the massive crowd. Teeth biting his own tongue and hands gripping the inside his pockets, he pictures the royal guests as trolls. Yes. For the first time in forever, Jack finally takes one of Aster's advice and turns it into action.

Pretend your audience as trolls. They are always grumpy, so you don't have to try to impress them.

Even if he doesn't really understand what a troll is, he'll just visualize that creature as a rock with two eyes, a nose, and a mouth. 

It's like picturing potatoes or eggs with a freaking face.

Jack shivers at the thought. Is it even real? He swears he once saw the word troll written in one of his father's documents when he pulled a prank in his study

Focus, Jack!

The prince shakes his head and returns to his main problem. Jack chants the words inside his head as he stands there patiently, waiting for Elsa who's coordinating things with the council. One single code from his future wife then he has to go up there, to the throne, to bring one hell of a declaration that's going to be in everyone's conversation.

Jack sees Elsa thanking the council as they separate their ways except for Count Gregory and Count Eirik. She and the two gentlemen share a few sentences before they part. Elsa's eyes land on his as she shoots him a smile while walking closer.

"What is it?" Jack asks and examines the two counts who march their way the throne.

"Count Gregory and Count Eirik will do the opening. They will give us a cue when it's our time. After that, I'll do the ending." Elsa replies. "We will also be exchanging rings. We only need to do as the council says."

Unable to figure out a proper response, Jack awkwardly whistles as he shivers at the thought of slipping the ring to Elsa's finger. He coughs and stirs the topic away. "So, I don't take part in this speech?"

"I don't think that's a good idea. Some of the men here are the gentlemen we were talking about. We wouldn't want them to strike at you."

"Ah." Jack grins an evil one. "The gentlemen."

Elsa giggles for a while before gripping her own hands, setting her gaze downward. Jack, noticing the out of context gesture, scoots closer to her and lowers his head to get a glimpse at her face.

"You okay?"

Elsa looks up and smiles, grateful for Jack's concern at her slight mood change.

How to make him understand?

She can't help but to think about what happened years ago. In this very ballroom, she was labelled as a monster for the first time because she froze her own home. Perhaps, every guest here remembers or—at least—knows how she cursed this land and selfishly ran away during the act. She really tried to think of something else once the guests started coming in—thank God Jack helped a lot throughout their pleasant talks—but, now it all comes back.

She is scared.

What if the guests won't be so forgiving like her own citizens?

What if her citizens are honestly still scared of her all this time but they act like they don't because she's the reigning queen now?

What if Jack—

"Elsa," Jack whispers as he takes both of Elsa's stuttering hands and holds them so tenderly. Elsa returns to her consciousness and stares at Jack's freaked out face. "God, are you alright? You zoned out for a few minutes and you were shaking. Was something bothering you?" Elsa gives him a smile before shaking her head.