Chapter 2

Soft wind picked up loose tendrils of my hair, birds chirping all around me. I looked up at the sky. It was darker than usual, clouds filling it. Light filtered through the clouds in streaks and fragments. A loud screech sounded behind me and I turned, looking at an enormous black bird nested in a bare, dead tree. It was perched alone, the light from the clouds shining around it beautifully. It screeched again, ear piercing, attention grabbing, loud. I heard the soft hum of cars in the distance. Background noise. I brushed back a red curl that had escaped my braid, annoyed by my hair in general. I lied back on.. What was I on? I looked up and screamed. A black, elongated beak and beady eyes stared down at me, the razor sharp beak tip nearing my face. I panicked, trying to roll out of the area, to find myself barricaded in by enormous, dark wings. I screamed pounding on the wings but the bird showed so signs of weakness. I blinked, opening my eyes to find myself in a small, black room. It had nothing in it, and was no bigger than your normal fridge. I panicked again, pounding on the walls. I was screaming, yelling for anyone, when I felt something touch my back. I looked back to see that the wall behind me had moved inwards, quickly eliminating any extra space I had. I shrieked, putting my hands on my head. I closed my eyes, and suddenly cold wind brushed my face. I looked up into the face of the bird again. I screamed loud and the birds beak rushing at my face was the last thing I saw.

***

My fingers fluttered over the white keys of the grand piano, the soft sound brushing around me like mist. It was effortless now, the keys and tune memorized perfectly. It was beautiful, I have to admit, the sound of my playing. I had worked hard on it, always preferring the piano slightly over my violin. "Clarissa?" I heard a soft voice behind me. "There's someone on the phone." I sighed, not stopping my Tarantella. "Whom?" I asked, skipping a note. I banged my fists on the keyboard in frustration, my concentration and peace broken. I turned and saw my mother, leaning against the door frame, telephone in hand. "Someone by the name of Daniel," she replied, seeming not to notice my outburst. She raised an eyebrow, twirling the phone in her long fingers. I felt the heat rise to my freckled face. I stepped forward, ripping the phone from her grasp. "Yes?" I asked, my tone showing my annoyance and frustration. I paused as Daniel spoke looking up at my expectant mother. "Yes, this is Clarissa Redwing." I groaned. "No! I would not like to see you tonight, Daniel!" I shouted. My mom gasped at my terrible manners and tone. I took the phone from my ear, hanging up. I brushed past my mom, stomping up to my room to change.