Chapter Seven

"What about this one?"

    "Too small."

    "Okay, how about this one?"

    "Not the right colour."

    "This?"

    "No."

    "Aria!" I exclaim, throwing my hands up. "It's just a canopy."

    My sister clicks her tongue and continues to type on her laptop. "It's not just a canopy Troye. It has to seat approximately fifty people and we still need to figure out placement for the house band. The stage I hired is ten-by-ten and at this rate we'll have guests sitting on the lawn."

    "Remind me again why this needs to be such a big affair?"

    Aria's gaze flicks towards me. "It's their twentieth anniversary Troye. Our parents have been married for two decades."

    "So? What's so special about two decades? Some people make it to five!"

    "When you're married you'll understand." Aria says impatiently.

    "Then how is it you understand and you're not married either?"

    "Because," Aria grins and bops me on the nose. "I'm older and wiser than you."

    "Well you certainly look the age part."

    I laugh when Aria punches me in the arm before turning back to the catalogue I had been flicking through. "What about this one?"

    Aria peers over my shoulder. "Oh, that could work. How many people can it sit?"

    "Seventy, but take away twenty people and we'll have enough room for the stage."

    Aria nods. "Perfect, text me the number and I'll call them to book later."

    I pick up my phone and send her the number before standing up and stretching. "I'm going to make coffee. Do you want anything?"

    Aria points to her half-drunk tea on the table. "Still going."

    I make my way through my sister's house and into the kitchen. Aria's house was nice with its modern furnishing but she had enough possessions to make it feel lived-in.

    Seeing as she was rarely home these days, she had managed to keep her house clean and warm. Not to mention the two felines that were asleep on the floor, keeping the house occupied.

    "Shove Oscar," I groan when the grey Siberian cat refused to move away from the fridge, looking up at me through annoyed eyes.

    "Fine." I scoop the cat up in my arms as he protests loudly. "Then I'm just going to have to do it for you."

    Animals were never my thing, though I adored our pet dog Scout growing up.

    As the coffee maker heats I take out my phone to text Jack. He'd gone into the office this morning to finish some work, leaving me to sort through boring canopies and cakes with my sister for our parent's wedding anniversary.

    Just getting into the heart of it now. Jack wrote. Be home by two.

    I can't believe you're making me sift through wedding catalogues alone with my sister. I typed back. You owe me big time for ditching me.

    I'll make it up to you later :) is all I got as a response before Aria was calling my name from the living room.

    Grabbing my mug from the counter, I head back to where piles of catalogues were scattered across Aria's coffee table.