3 - Battle AU (angst)

Ok, so I cried while writing this...

The ax whizzed past the front lines, spinning directly toward the archers, Kenma specifically. Kenma prepared for the blow before realizing it never came. Kuroo had lept in front of him, and now an ax was buried in his chest.

Kuroo swayed and then collapsed on the ground as his breathing came in shallow, labored breaths. Kenma dropped to his knees, trying to remain composed as he tried too staunch the bleeding.

"Kenma," Kuroo said weakly. Tears streamed down Kenma's face.

"You're going to be ok," he said as he applied pressure and continued treating Kuroo, "it's going to be ok,"

Kuroo coughed up blood before saying, "I love you, Kenma,"

"No! Stop acting like you're gonna die! You're not!" Kenma's voice broke as he became desperate. He yanked the ax out and grabbed more gauze, hands slick with blood.

"I never said I was," Kuroo teased, trying to calm Kenma.

Kenma put his head down, cursing, before trying to wipe the blood from his face and only smearing it more. Kenma's breathing got heavier as he squinted through tears and tried to wrap gauze with trembling hands. Kuroo saw and took initiative.

"Hey," He said gently, taking Kenma's bloody hands in his own, "it's going to be ok. I'm going to be fine. I'll live to see you again,"

"Promise?"

"I promise."

After the battle, Kenma went to the sick ward to find Kuroo.

"Do you know were Tetsu Kuroo is?"

The nurse looks bleak. "Over here, sir," she says as she guides Kenma past the other wounded.

As they approach Kuroo's bedside, it becomes apparent that Kuroo is in poor condition. His skin is nearly white and his voice is strained.

"Kuroo,"

"Kenma,"

"We won,"

Kenma hugs Kuroo, careful not to touch his wounds as he curls up next to him.

"Kenma, I- I love you,"

"I love you too," Kenma wraps his arms around the lower part of Kuroo's midsection and Kuroo wraps an arm around Kenma, stroking his hair.

"Promise me,"

"What?"

"You'll-" Kuroo's last words are cut off by a wheezing cough and the long beep of a flatline.

"Kuroo?" Kenma's voice breaks, "Kuroo! Wake up!"

Kenma shakes Kuroo's lifeless form, tears blurring his vision.

"KUROO. YOU SAID YOU WOULDN'T LEAVE," Kenma screams, then, softly, "you promised. You promised me you would stay."