Chapter Three

"Guys? You might want to see this." Tony stepped into the dimly lit room to look upon the great tank of green-blue water, the only thing alive in this desolate place.

Soon enough the Avengers had gathered in the large room and Bruce was looking over the controls.

"Wow... This is... It. The girl in the files..." He said slowly.

"Can we revive her?" Cap asked.

Bruce sighed and raised his eyebrows. "I guess so, there isn't really anything we can do to ensure her living through the process though, this tech is old and complicated to work with."

"Can you do it?" He pressed.

Banner sighed, "Let's see, if I adjust this, turn- no, wait... Ah, press this..." he mumbled for almost a minute, but soon found what he was looking for. "Ah!"

The tank began to drain, and the figure inside sank lower and lower until she lay in a wet heap on the floor. The sides of the water-tight can lifted, all extensions detaching themselves from her body.

Weapons were cautiously aimed as she shifted, a small groan escaping her lips. Glowing eyes peaked out as she tried to see.

Light, feeling. It has been a long time since her mind had been given the pleasure of processing these senses. She could smell the room, but it was different. The machinery was silent. All she could hear was the heavy breathing of nearby entities. She cracked open her eyes, mind blank when all she could see was white. The color came first, then fuzzy shapes began to fill in the dim gaps. Details trickled in, until she could make out faces. These weren't HYDRA, they were different. They pointed weapons at her head, spoke in rough tones. She couldn't understand them, it was as though they were speaking in grunts. The grunts were familiar somehow, but it was almost as though she had forgotten them.

She groaned as she rolled on her side, bracing her hand on the ground. Then she saw the soft glow, the bits of metal peaking from under her skin in various places. A few memories came back, some of the sounds began to make sense, but others still didn't. She pushed her hand against the floor, but her vision blurred and everything went dark.

The stars were bright, but dull. All uniform, white, against a black sky. Suddenly she was floating in a white abyss, the stars turning bright and cheerful. They were laughing, joy radiating from their new colors. The color bled out, the white blotched with happiness. It was white again. Sun. There was light. Sun. She  had never seen the sun, but there it was. Grass. Trees. Life. A joy and light of the world she had never seen... Or was a memory long forgotten. Laughter. She could hear it. Cubes, with soft, rounded edges, colors and patterns unique to each and every one. She could see a face. Smiling... she didn't remember. Pain. Lightning. Power. Strength. The night sky, she pushed through the darkness, spinning. She felt... That feeling. Joy. It has been vacant so long, she didn't recognize it. Explosions of colorful light, she could soar among them. The black turned to an off-white, there was a steady noise, off, on, off, on, off, on... It never stopped. Then she could see something... It was... Just out of reach.

*

Tony looked down at the girl. Her unseeing face showed nothing, then confusion, then sadness, almost. Peace, then anger. Then joy.

He couldn't help but wonder, when was the last time she has felt it...

Then her peaceful face twitched, and her eyes began to open.