15. A Proper Date

Reed called me after his dinner meeting with the scout. He wasn't supposed to say anything about it, but he spilled his guts anyway. I was honored to be so trusted. Reed was attracting attention from more schools than he had expected, though I wasn't really surprised. His impromptu meeting was with the quarterback coach for Stanford. His grades were impressive and, to be honest, I don't think Stanford fancied the idea of having Reed attend another school in their conference.

By the time Reed was a junior or senior in college, he could truly have grown into something spectacular. I wondered at the fact that I got to see him mature, see him in his beginning. I also allowed my mind to fantasize about a college world that included a Reed and me in it. I didn't let myself dwell there long because I knew I was being naïve, but a month ago I never would have thought I could say I knew what Reed's lips felt like, and well, now I could.

Reed had insisted that we spend tonight celebrating his great meeting and going on our first real date. He was leaving work early to meet with his coach and throw some passes to some promising new receivers now that Devin and Cole were graduated, so I was going to drive my newly made-over Olds. Suddenly, this car that I had spent a lifetime loathing held a special place in my heart. The kind gesture and its connection to Reed played on my perspective. I think my dad was sort of regretting handing the keys over to me permanently now, too. He did a little joy riding on the desert roads last night and said something about 'really opening her up on the open road.'

Reed said he didn't want to waste his first real date with me on a typical dinner and a movie, so he had instructed me to pack clothes that were casual, comfortable and "very Nolan." He also insisted I throw the Nikes in my bag. "Lots of walking," he said.

I must have tried on 15 different combinations of clothes that just days ago all seemed fine. I finally settled on my hip-slung cut-off shorts, double tank tops and plain white socks with my tennies. I had a clip in my bag that I could use to keep my hair up and makeup was always minimal, though I was eager to look more adult lately.

I scarfed down a peanut butter sandwich with some milk, locked up the house and skipped to my car, tossing my bag in the back seat. The engine roared right up for me, a sound I was sure would make my smile beam for months, and I backed out onto our main road.

Driving alone on the stretch of desert highway was finally how I pictured it would be, before my first solo trip was cut short by my car's former insides. I sang out loud all the way into town, rolling my window up as I pulled into the aquatics center, not wanting to draw the attention of the dozens of barely dressed teenagers that were parking around me. I knew I was a staff member and the same age as many of the girls that hung out at the center during the summer, but somehow I still felt inadequate. So many of them looked like, were built like and talked like Tatum. It was going to take me a while to stop trying to measure up to something that I still couldn't believe Reed no longer wanted.

Reed was sitting on the counter talking to Penny when I walked in.

"Uh, I believe she's two minutes late, Penny. Make sure you take note of that," he winked, snapping his towel at me as I walked by and rolled my eyes at Penny.

Penny was clearly always on the woman's side, as she piped up right away, tapping on her watch. "According to my watch, she still has three minutes, sport," she winked right back at him.

I walked through the women's locker room where I stashed my bag for later and met Reed on the pool deck side. He wasn't so subtle as he came over and planted the softest kiss on my right cheek. "I missed you," he whispered. I melted.

Our intimate moment wouldn't last long as Todd called out stations and we all headed out to them. The hours flew by again, and I seemed to always be taking my breaks with Tyler. I was more comfortable with him now as during our first break he asked me how long Reed and I had been going out. He must have witnessed our kiss in the pool yesterday. I told him we hadn't been dating long, though I really wasn't sure what to call us or how to answer that question. Either way, I thought Reed would be fine with my response. I got the feeling he wasn't too keen on Tyler.