Chapter Three

There was a smell in the laboratory room; the smell of burning skin and sweat. The aura of the room was dank, dark and evil-but Tilly felt right at home. As she laid on the table, with the leather straps holding her down, she felt the electricity coarse through her body and the pain was excruciating-and none of this bothered her. The men and women doing this to her were confused as she would not scream; she would not cry and she would not move. 
Matilda just laid there.

"Why isn't this affecting her? This kind of electricity should be causing her to scream in pain and beg for it to stop!"

One of the men asked Abigail, who shrugged her shoulders and walked over to Tilly, confusion on her face. 

"Ok, young lady...does this hurt?"

Tilly looked up at Abigail, and nodded her head, a simple nod and turned her sights back up to the light on the ceiling, as another burst of power surged through her body-still no reaction. The people in the room were no concerned as there was still nothing coming from the 16 year old girl on the table, so they released her from the straps and stood her up; and when she attempted to stand but collapsed back onto the table, holding onto it for dear life. 

"We're going to take her back to her room and give her some work to do. Maybe this will be the way to get through to her and get her to talk." 

As they walked back to the elevator, Matilda noticed that there was a door just to the left of the lift, and started to make a plan to escape. But as she started to imagine her plan, she stopped when she noticed the muscular man guarding the door; as he was staring at her-as if he knew what she was planning. 
They exited the lift and elad Tilly back to her room, locking the door behind her after they had passed her a book of mathematics and a book with a pack of pens, telling her to do all the problems in that book and knock three times once she had completed her challenge. 
After the door had shut, Matilda got to work on her challenge, flying through the maths questions with no problem, and once she had finished she went to knock on the door-but stopped just as she began to-and turned slowly. The window...
Tilly walked quickly to the window and started to feel around the glass, looking for a catch or a crack in the window-but to no success. But she did have a new idea. 
She took a pen from the back, and hid it under her pillow, her plan would need something like this to work-when the pen was hidden well, she knocked on her door three times and handed over the work she had done, a small smile danced on her face. 

"Wow...you're one smart cookie. You're looking pale, can we get you any food or drink??"

This lady was nice, and Tilly nodded-and watched as the woman walked away. Closing the door again, she ran back over to the pens hiding place and took off the lid and took out the ink from the plastic covering, and started to drag the top of the plastic across the floor-in an attempt to sharpen the plastic. Unfortunately, the plastic wasn't strong enough to handle the pressure between the floor and her hand and snapped. Grunting slightly, she threw the plastic across the room and sighed. 

"Miss Flawner?"

Tilly looked up and saw the nice lady holding a tray with food and a glass of orange juice.

"I didn't know if you're a vegetarian or not so I got you a cheese sandwich and also a ham sandwich...I hope you like whichever one you choose." 

She handed Matilda the tray and she went straight for the ham, and ate it in seconds, then started on the second sandwich, looking up at the lady, a smile on her face.

"So not a vegetarian. Noted. By the way, I'm Uma."  

As Uma turned and left, Tilly enjoyed the food and drink she had brought and looked towards the window. She would somehow get out that window one way or another-and sat staring at the white PVC surrounding the glass-and a tear finally left her eye. She wanted her father and everybody to see what they're doing to her.
As she crawled into bed, her mind was going one million miles an hour as she thought of how she was going to get out. The woods behind the building looked so peaceful and serene; one day...

As she fell into a deep sleep, her last thought was of her father, her mother, and the day Stannie died.