Chapter 5

On the way back I remembered it was our aniversary. It's not like I had just remembered it now, honestly I've been thinking about it a lot, but I got caught up what with the other anniversary with the departure from my mum. Me and Danny had agreed noting special. No presents no cards. He said he was going to look after me all day, emotional support and that kind of thing. I hated having to be looked after like a toddler, but I think it was more of Danny's present that mine.

I walked towards the house and as he was just about to open the door, I heard the bin fall over. Curios, I ducked to see under the hedge. To my up most surprise, the graveyard care taker was pretending to be looking at leaves. I gave a throaty cough, because although I already knew he knew I was here, he was refusing to acknowledge I knew he knew I was here, or something like that.

"Oh hello Clara lovely to meet you again! No time to chat sorry, work to be done!" His young voice sounded under pressure.

"Just a quick question, what are you doing under my hedge?"

"Oh me? Why I'm just err examining all of the gardens around here. I found evidence of extraterrestrial fungi in the tulip bed. Happen to know anything about that?" He asked as though anything he just said was believable.

"Why would I know anything about alien mushrooms in your flowers?"

"Just thought you had a familiar face." He mumbled. "Doing a quick once over of all the gardens in the immediate vicinity around the park."

"PARK? You work as the church caretaker!"

"Yeah that's what I meant... church, the one just round the corner?"

"No, the one that's a twenty minute car journey away from here. You're quite bad at lying." I mocked.

"No I'm not!" He said with a stroppy expression on his face.

"Sure... tell why you're hear or I'll call the cops." I bluffed

"You're not to good at lying either. Okay, I've just recently moved into the area and I don't know anyone here and you and you're accomplice here," he pointed at Danny, who looked completely baffled, "seemed to have friendly faces."

Danny panicked for some reason. "Sorry but we're busy tonight" and me through the door. When he turned the lights on there was a ear hurting "SUPRISE". Our friends and colleges were here all dressed in fancy clothing and there was banners and balloons everywhere.

Minutes later I had gone to get a refil of wine when I saw a familiar face through the window. He looked sad. And his bow ties seemed to be drooping. I walked over to Danny and stole him from a conversation. "Danny, the man in the bow tie is outside. Should we invite him in?"

"If you want, but he's your responsibility." He smiled and I bounced to the door and as I opened it I saw the hunched figure sitting on the pavement look up, "We're having an aniversary party, do you want to come in, there's wine and nibbles?" He face perked up, especially at the nibbles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A.N

Party part 2 tomorrow, vote and follow and comment what an engagement ring should look like