03. Taste

Naziwe drummed her pen against the hardwood table, reading through the notes she had just copied down from the pictures she took during her lecture, as well as the little extra notes she had taken down

Naziwe drummed her pen against the hardwood table, reading through the notes she had just copied down from the pictures she took during her lecture, as well as the little extra notes she had taken down. A The Internet song played in the background of the cafe she was in as she willed herself not to lose her focus and end up listening to it.

She couldn't afford to lose focus; her academic scholarship depended on it.

After reading through them twice, she packed her stationery away, leaving her notebook on the table, and decided to order something. Zipping up her Nike bag, she looked up and caught eyes with one of the waiters at the cafe.

He smiled small yet charmingly at her before he walked over and asked her if she'd like to order. A ringlet of his hair fell onto his olive forehead before he brushed it away with his hand, making her swoon on the inside. She pursed her lips before picking up the menu on the table. She knew exactly what she wanted to buy but she still acted as though she was clueless. Her bottom lip was trapped between her teeth to further illustrate her act of indecisiveness.

She released her lip with a soft smack, unknowingly making his eyes glaze over with lust as he took in its dark pink hue and its moisture.

She spoke, "Uh... I think I'll have a dark chocolate latte..." she paused, "and a double chocolate muffin," she finished before looking up at him.

   He smirked at her before he basically took down her order in five seconds. "You must really love chocolate, huh?" he questioned, trailing on as his eyes flickered over to read the name written boldly across her notebook, "Miss Naziwe."

She smiled kindly. "I do," she nodded, "it's good for the soul."

   "It sure is," he spoke as his eyes trailed her face slowly. "You ever tried the white chocolate latte? It's just as good."

Naz shook her head with a smile, "No sir, I haven't. I'm not that adventurous; plus, white chocolate is too sweet for my liking."

She could only eat a small amount of it before she felt slightly sickened by its sweetness, and she imagined that she'd feel the same with the latte. Feeling sickened by something her broke self bought with her hard-earned money would make her heart break.

   It had only been a minute before his hair fell again. He pushed it back swiftly as he fixed his posture, replying, "You should try it. You know, expand your horizons. Maybe you'll like it."

The deliberate look in his eyes and his smirk told her that he wasn't talking about hot beverages anymore, but about her taste in men. Her eyes widened slightly as her lips parted to answer yet she came up short for words.

Suddenly, she heard Caleb's voice as he rushed out a sorry and how he was caught up at school before plopping down on the seat across from hers. He realized he was interrupting something when he noticed how she blushed slightly at the menu while nibbling on her lip. The waiter dragged his eyes from her to Caleb slowly before asking him what he'd like to order.