Chapter 4: New Developments

Socrates stood in the center of the bleachers amongst the crowd of the most spirited students, who were completely decked out in red-and-white clothing, face paint, nail polish, hairbands, and more. He engaged in conversation with everyone around him, but for no more than a few moments each. He cheered only when our team scored touchdowns or field goals. He otherwise maintained a vacant stare at the field, taking occasional glances back at us cheerleaders or at his phone. Therefore, I determined he was at the game for only two reasons, which were that (1) he was supporting his girlfriend, Anna, and (2) he wanted to be seen there, purely to prove to his voters that he was a "common man" and to keep them in his pocket.

I swear, if Socrates wasn't actually a philosopher, then he was most definitely a politician at heart. Even when it looked like he was doing nothing, he was really lobbying for more followers. The campaign never stops, he'd jokingly admitted to everyone in the vicinity while visiting his girlfriend during halftime. And it was true.

I spotted Diogenes, meanwhile, walking out from under the bleachers and heading away from the field area, a lit cigarette held casually between his teeth. He turned around for a moment, and I gave him a curious look, but he just smirked, shrugged, and disappeared into the shadows behind the stadium lights. Apparently he'd seen enough. The last Philosopher, Aristotle, never showed up at the game at all, though admittedly I didn't expect someone like him, someone so disinterested in sports, to do so.

Suddenly the crowd went wild, and I turned around to see Nathan, number 12 and also the quarterback, throw a spiral in a perfect arc toward the end zone. Will the wide receiver had to stretch to make the catch, but the dive that finished off the touchdown was easy. Chest bumps were exchanged, the extra point was made, and the boys came running to the sidelines for a rest. 24-14 with one minute left.

"That one was for you, Candace! We're going to win this for sure!" Nathan shouted at me as he followed Will down the line to high-five all of the cheerleaders. Plato was the only player not joining in with the whoops of agreement.

"Still not impressed," I teased Nathan, grinning. "Emily Dickinson once wrote, 'I dwell in possibility.' But don't dwell too much on one possibility, hot shot. It's not over 'til it's over!"

His friends laughed, while he just shook his head. "Newbie, you might be my new favorite Almost-Nerd. Thanks for keeping me grounded. Apparently I need that."

"Anytime!" I said, and then I went back to the cheer routine with the rest of the squad. Lisa and Kaitlyn, standing on either side of me, looked relatively shocked. And probably jealous.

.

Feeling absolutely great after the win, I stopped at my house only to change out of my uniform and into jeans and a crop top. I told my parents I was going to a party, and in return they just told me not to get drunk. Guessing that drinking and philosophy were a bad mix, I promised I wouldn't. Then, I walked out the door and headed for the Shack.

I ran into Plato less than a block away from our destination. Even in the midnight darkness, that red hoodie gave him away. "Hey, Plato!" I yelled after him. "Wait up!" But he kept walking with his head down. He might have even picked up his pace, actually. Annoyed, I ran after him.

"Hey!" I grabbed his shoulder and turned him around to face me just inside the junkyard, by a rack of rusty, flat-tired bikes. He only rolled his eyes, so I said, "What's your problem?"

"You are," he replied seriously, his face emotionless.

I frowned. "Are you mad at me or something? Plato, just talk to me."