Chapter 5: Problems All Around {Part 1}

"Me and my f***in mouth...!"

*BANG-BANG-BANG*

I jumped across another rooftop as I was fleeing away from the Gremory vampiric assassin, the both of us also being tailed by other hostiles with weird-looking tendrils. I assumed these were Ghouls a long time ago, and by no means were they accepting of strangers on their turf. Seraphim continued to hound after me as she fended off the Ghouls, the two of us creating momentary truces before going back to trying to kill each other over and over again just to survive. I jumped down when I had the chance, and slid through an open pipe my size. I heard Seraphim land atop it, sliding down after me. She jammed sword in just after I got out, grunting as it was stuck. Some of the red-eyed demons screeched in fury and anticipation as their mouths watered, rushing her from the top of the pipe as other feral humanoids dropped from the roof, the fall not even hurting them a bit. I took a few steps towards an open door to a closed convenient store, then looked back at her. Two of them lunged at her as she was still trying to get her blade out. Gritting my teeth...

*BANG-BANG*

I decided to be the better man, and shoot both of them away from her. It didn't kill them, as they were tough and resilient bas****s, but the force of the bullet would push them back a fair bit. Rushing to Seraphim, I gripped the katana and pulled with her, yanking it out and shoving her along. I fired at another coming at us before running into the door, shutting it and barricading it behind us. Due to the superior strength these guys have, and the tendrils stabbing through, we had mere seconds. Seraphim looked to the door with a hint of nervousness in her eyes before she eyed me. I looked around the store, then saw the front wide open. I rushed to it, Seraphim chasing after me on a whim. I fired at one that came around to it, knocking them down with a sock of Misery across the jaw. I activated the loadouts on my Pilot Vest and quickly switched its class to Grapple, taking Seraphim by the arm and shooting us up to the rooftops across the street. Once we landed, we kept going, deciding on taking advantage of the head start we had. We leaped over a set buildings, one at a time, trying to get them to lose our scent trail. Our mad dash to safety landed us near Tokyo's subway entrance, and with no options available to us, I rushed down with the Vampire right behind me. We ran through the crowd of people, taking off anything that would give us away and holding it in our arms as we made our way to the tram. Several of the chasing Ghouls came down with us, looking for us in the crowd as our scent mixed in with the humans'. Looking back at them as they continuously searched for us, I ushered Seraphim through the crowd, then turned her when the tram doors opened, getting us both into a car before they closed again. It wasn't but a minute later did the tram start moving. I forced Seraphim to sit and draw her attention elsewhere as the Ghouls began to peek in. Without our scents, they had to rely on their eyes, and being completely masked in the crowd of people helped us get away. Once we were in the tunnels, I breathed out a sigh of relief, letting go of Seraphim as I stood up, putting my Duster coat back on as well as my hat. She stood up as well, giving me a side glance as she put back what she took off as well, save for her cape. This allowed me to take in her appearance in the light and without the added fact that she was trying to kill me every time we saw each other.

 This allowed me to take in her appearance in the light and without the added fact that she was trying to kill me every time we saw each other

"..."

I ignored her look as I moved towards another train car, looking know where we were going by the map posted on its wall. When I went over, Seraphim followed, knowing that this car was more private than the others. Once we were through, she took a few steps towards me, stopping when she realized I wasn't on edge around her, but instead looking through the map.

"... You are not worried, then...?"

I glanced at her.

"About what?"

"I am still obligated to kill you. It is my mission."

"Yeah, well, I know how Vampires are and their honor. Way I see it is you owe me."

She squeezed her arms, knowing I was right. It was in mentioning this did she raise another question.

"... Why did you save me?"

I looked back at the map as she walked to the seat across from it, sitting down.

"I've been trying to kill you, again and again, throughout this last day and a half. Yet, even after minor hesitation, you helped me get away from the Ghouls that have claimed this side of Tokyo. Why...?"

"..."
I shrugged.

"I'm not a sh**ty person, not entirely."

"Entirely? You abandoned and betrayed your own household."
"And for good goddamn reason."

She stood up.

"There is no reason great enough for such an atrocity."

I snapped to her, giving her a glare that sent chills down her spine.

"I got plenty, Vampire..."

"..."

She stared at me silently as I walked to another seat, sitting down and rubbing my eyes.

"One moment, I just want a stroke of peace..."

"What do you-"

"Here's how this is gonna go down."
I looked back up at her.

"Way I see it, I saved your life, and you owe me a favor, so... let's make a deal."
She rose an eyebrow as I stood up again, walking to the map. I pointed to one building in particular.

"THIS is where I'm heading: the Shrine right off of the boulevard."

She looked to it herself, seeing that it was a ways away from the station we were heading to.

"All I need is 2 days. Back off for that long, and I'll have my evidence. You can even look at it yourself and be the judge. No honor, no mission; just your own eyes and ears. If you find it unworthy to make a case, then you can kill me without argument. Deal?"

She kept her arms crossed, looking intently at the board.

"..."
She sighed as her expression became defeated.

"I owe you, and it's part of a Vampire's creed to pay your debts..."
She shook her head before narrowing her eyes at me.

"Fine. I will subside my presence for now. We have more to worry about in the Ghouls, after all."

*KSSS*

I grabbed her shoulder as the tram shifted, signalling that it's stopping. She shook off my hand and walked ahead to the next car.

"2 days. That's all I will allow. When the time is up, we will meet at the Gremory Estate."

She opened the door and stepped through, leaving me alone in my own car. I watched her leave before turning back to the map, looking at the quickest route to the shrine.

"Guess I've got a bit of a walk ahead of me..."