Chapter 11

Heat still rose from the scorched earth beneath Gylledra's boots even though a night had come and gone. Malfurion had sacrificed the immortality of his people to save not only themselves, but all of Azeroth. She wondered distantly if the powers of Nordrassil had reached the Nightborne beneath their shield or if the Nightwell held sole dominion there.

Most importantly, Archimonde was dead...igniting the power inside the World Tree had incinerated him; now, all that remained, were his bones and the warm ashes she stood upon. The shadow of his existence had long loomed over her, it felt almost strange to be free of the darkness he had cast on her existence. Few demons had impacted her as directly as he had.

"It is truly over." Came Varok's voice, from behind her.

"This battle, yes...and Archimonde...he is never coming back." She murmured. "The war will be over when Sargeras falls...hopefully we have time now to better prepare for the next time they invade."

"You'll never have to endure whatever he..."

"Torture." Gylledra turned and saw his stunned expression. He'd likely guessed at that already, but she knew it was still a shock to learn of such things in certainty. "Every time I was captured I was tortured...but...it doesn't matter now."

"Doesn't matter?" Varok frowned.

"He is dead...and I am not, and I will sleep easier knowing that not I nor any other will be at his mercy again." She scuffed one boot in the ash. "Now, we move on...we make a home in this world and we live our lives, preparing until they come back." It seemed strange, the possibility that there might be at least some happiness in store for her, that she might live to enjoy her life, even if it was temporary, it was more than she had imagined for herself before.

"You're right. The Horde will build a city, a home of our own." Varok put a hand on her shoulder. Could we truly make a home together? She wondered. She wanted that very much, quite a lot more than she had let herself admit before. When it was possible that they would die, she had pressed down all her hope, ignoring it to try and prevent regret.

"So you want me to stay?" The question slipped out before Gylledra could stop it, but there it hung between them, Varok's brows raised in surprise and confusion.

"What?" He blinked, looking at her like she'd grown a second head...as though she should have known. "Of course I want..." He seemed almost flustered. Perhaps she should have known, perhaps that assumption came part and parcel with what they had said to each other that night on their "hunt". Her body gave an involuntary and not altogether unpleasant clench at the thought. Without impending battle against demons hanging over them, there was much more time for...whatever it was that people who were together did. What did go on between couples, she wondered, besides the obvious? Her feelings for Varok encompassed a great deal more than what was between his legs, though now, since the thought had presented itself, she was having a little trouble thinking of much else.

"Oh, good." Gylledra murmured, willing the topic to change.

"That...was a concern?"

"Well, I don't know the protocol." She felt a little foolish.

"Protocol?"

"I've seen it often enough, passionate affairs in times of war and crisis that inevitably burn out when the battles are done. It was always one of the reasons I never got involved..."

"Then why did you get involved?" He was visibly agitated.

"Because I am in love with you, it is not an affair." The words flew out of their own accord, though they had voiced their feelings, she had never said it outright.