Second Thoughts

When morning came, I changed out of my silk blue pajamas and into my usual attire that consisted of a white undershirt, blue vest, black pants, and black bowler hat before going into the kitchen to make tea.

Hopefully I won't run into that William fellow again, I thought as I put the kettle on, waiting patiently for the water to boil as I assembled my breakfast of freshly baked pumpkin bread and eggs, noticing a slip of paper by my door.

I picked it up and unfolded it to see that it was a note from my landlord reminding me that my payment was due the next day. 

Wonderful, I groaned internally as I returned to the kitchen and left the paper on the table before assembling my breakfast, already planning what to say to my landlord so I could extend the due date.

I wrote in my journal about my encounter with William as I ate, a part of me longing to go on an adventure with a stranger just to have something exciting in my life.

Once I was finished, I cleaned up the table and walked off to work just down the street a few blocks, adjusting the brim of my bowler hat to shield my eyes from the bright sunlight beaming down on me from the sun hovering over the horizon.

As I walked up to the old brick building, I waved hello to Jackaboy standing outside of the door as he held a cigar in between his fingers.

"Morning Jameson, boss wants to talk to you in his office." The male told me gruffly, patting me on the back as I walked inside filled with trepidation.

Sitting in his office at his desk was Jack, the man that orchestrated all of the silent movies I performed in currently looking up at the plain white ceiling until he noticed me.

"Jameson, I need to talk to you about something. Silent movies are declining, I can't keep ya here." Jack stated grimly, his hands clasped together on his desk.

I felt my face drain of color as I shook my head, trying to plead for a way to keep my job so I could pay rent as my hands moved in a blur.

He wouldn't listen to me.

"I'm sorry, I really am, but..." Jack trailed off with a sigh, my fingers curling into my fists as I turned away and strode out of the movie studio without glancing back at the place I had spent years working at.

My thoughts drifted back to William's offer once more even though I had no interest in hunting, the idea of traveling and being out in the wild feeling somewhat exhilarating.

There has to be something I can do, I reasoned as I strode back home with my hands shoved into my pockets.

Then I realized that there was something I could do.

I could take a chance for the first time in my life and not have to worry about any repercussions since I have nothing else to lose, I reasoned with myself as I looked up at the smog choked sky.

I guess I have some preparing to do then, I mused as I returned home, going into my bedroom and searching through my clothes to find something I could take with me on the hunt.

None of my clothes seemed suitable for the jungle, leaving me with the only option of going out and getting some made for me.

I was startled out of my thoughts by a knock on my door, the sound reverberating in the quiet house.

I darted over to the door and opened it to find Henrik and Chase standing on my doorstep, the pair greeting me with a wave.

I waved back and stepped aside, motioning for them to come inside before I retreated into the kitchen to cut up some pumpkin bread for them and start some tea.

"Hello Jameson, ve just vanted to stop by for a bit to checkup on you." Schneep stated as I retrieved a knife, closing my eyes to force the dark thoughts threatening to overwhelm me to the back of my mind as my knuckles started to turn white.

"You doing okay?" Chase interjected, my head nodding instinctively even though I felt far from it as I cut a slice of the pumpkin bread before plating it and placing it on the table in front of Chase.

"You seem...preoccupied." Schneep added with concern shining in his eyes, the German sitting at the table with Chase following suite.

"Hey Jameson, what's this?" Chase spoke up, holding up the payment notice from my landlord.

I hastily tore the paper out of his hands and tucked it under my arm as I returned to the pumpkin bread, taking a deep breath.

"Jameson..." Schneep trailed off as I grabbed two more plates, my hands trembling slightly as I raised my knife to cut another slice.

"I know zhat you vere fired."

The knife swung down and cut my hand instead of the bread, my eyes wide as I dropped the knife into the counter and let out a silent cry of pain.

"Here, let me help." Schneep offered gently, grabbing a rag from the bathroom and wrapping it around my injured hand while Chase worked on cleaning up the blood.

I could feel tears pricking my eyes as I sat down, a jumble of emotions whirling through my mind as the rag around my hand gradually turned red.

"Hey, it's okay Jamie, you're okay." Chase soothed me quietly, a sad smile lighting up his face as he hugged me close.

I could hear the kettle screeching as I felt the world spin around me while my head slumped forward onto his shoulder, my vision growing darker as unconsciousness threatened to take over.

"Jameson? Jameson!" Schneep shouted, his voice sounding millions of miles away from me as my eyes fluttered shut to allow myself to slip into a painless sleep.