Prologue

Dedicated to all the people out there who tried.

All my life, I never cared about anyone. I didn’t even care about myself. I never talked to anyone that much, I never missed anyone that much and I never liked anyone that much. If it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t live that much and life could’ve still meant so little to me.

Why? Well, let me tell you a little something about my life.

When I was still in the uterus of my mother, the doctor told my parents that I may not come out alive because there were fluids in my brain. See? Even at first I was not really suited for living. But thanks to the doctors and to my parents’ faith – at least that’s what my mom would always say – I got out alive and turned into a cute little baby boy. But of course, life tends to be mean and that cuteness didn’t last for long.

I grew up in a house meant for a Cheaper by the Dozen family but only me, my parents and my stubborn grandpa lives in that house. My mom and dad were planning to have a lot of children, but because of me, they only had one. “Thank god you’re a boy, Al”, my dad would always say when I do foolish stuff in my life. I’m pretty sure I’m not one of those children who were born as blessings in their family. Nope. Definitely not me.

Anyway, going back to my story, yeah, I grew there living a pretty lonely life, because I had no normal toys and playmates unlike other children, made even lonelier when my parents decided to get me homeschooled until freshmen year. Which was even horrifying. I entered high school clueless with all the kids and their different cliques. I didn’t know what dope means and that calling someone “pretty boy” could send you to the principal’s office. High school is such a wild, enormous jungle. And life itself was my greatest predator.

For three years, I have dodged and ignored my predator. I was there, sitting, eating, breathing, coping up, merely existing. This was it, I told myself. My life where I am in safe haven, where I can be unharmed. I could live with just doing this and my everything will be a little less complicated if I didn’t get involved or got into anything. One more year, I said. And I could finally get out of this rotten pit of wild animals. Until I met this girl in Literature class.