one

“Um.. Hi. Is anyone seated here? Beside you?”

I was drawing cartoons at the back of my Literature book, ‘cause I freaking hated Lit so much. I never gave a fuck about Jane Eyre. I think Literature is dumb and I'm sure Shakespeare never intended to let students of the future generation study his work. I bet Shakespeare just wrote books and poems to show the world how he thinks his mind works. Because just like us, he had nothing else to do with his life.

“I suppose none”, she whispered to herself and she seated beside me.

I still ignored her. No one talks to me that way. Nobody. Ever. So I just assumed she’s one of those girls who helped their boyfriends make fun of some lame guy like me. 

Surprisingly, the bell rang and I am still perfectly untouched. This day, nothing happened. No death notes no anything, which is weird. Everyday (almost) of my high school life, it’s either I get home smelling like a burrito or spit balls. But today, nothing. Maybe they just got tired of making other people’s lives miserable.

So there, I went home perfectly fine. I rode the school bus and there I saw her again. Luckily she didn't notice me like everybody else. When I got home, my mom kept on nagging me if the ‘bad boys’ were gone already but I said no. As much as I want them to vanish in the world forever and to be eaten by the ground accompanied by boiling magma, they were still there.

I can hear my mom saying a lot of things. This is one of the moments when I kinda wanna go back to school where everyone has their own thing going through their minds and nobody gives a fuck about anyone.

“There’s a new kid in school. He’s just like me. They all decided to make fun of him instead of me", I said to my mom so that she would stop talking. God.

She stopped. Yes. And if I'm not mistaken, there was a small grin forming on the edge of her lips as she walks by the kitchen. I can tell she was relieved. Good for her.

You know, sometimes I wish I was relieved, too.

I wish that all of what I just told and wanted was true.

Like the other kid.

The ‘him’ instead of ‘me’.

That could've been great.

But no.

Reality doesn't work that way.

Not for me.