Chapter One

TO SCHOOL

"Come on Leah, we're gonna be late!" My best friend Clair tells me. I'm dawdling, I don't want to go. We have a huge test today, and I didn't study at all.

"I know, I know." I whine.

"Come on. I'll get you some chocolate if you hurry up." I brighten and speed up instantly. She knows me so well. Well, she should, I've know her since we were three.

"Pinky promise?" It's a little girl tradition but most girls in between twelve and fourteen still do it, and we never break these promises. She smiles and shows me both her hands. I curl my right pinky around hers and shake. We let of and pick up the pace towards the school.

As we pass through the village, calling out greetings to the usual group that we know, I notice some give us fake smiles and half-hearted waves instead of their normal cheery grins and enthusiastic greetings. Bystanders give me dark, unhappy, angry looks, both when they think no one is looking and when I'm glancing right at them. Some turn away and hurry back the way they came the moment they see us.

I enter the bakery beside the school.

"Hello, Anna! How are you?" I say to the girl behind the counter. Anna's 17 and her family has owned this bakery for decades. My parents are great friends with them, so we drop by every day, and I am friends with everyone who works here. But Anna is my favourite.

"Very well, thanks. The usual morning order?" She responds cheerfully. She works here the most so she knows that we have five different orders; the morning, mid-day, dinner, holidays, and birthdays.

"No, thanks. Just dropped in to say hi." I tell her. "Oh, right. Clair owes me some chocolate now, I would like one of the triple chocolate bonbons please. Oh and can you add a spoon of milk chocolate on the side? Thanks. Oh, right, Anna?"

"Hmm?"

"Has there been some sort of rumour or something going around about me? Some people aren't themselves when they see me. It just started today."

"Well, there is one, complete garbage it is. You know Stewie, the Leader's Seer? Yes, well, according to him, he saw you destroying the village in the crystal ball! Don't believe it for a second, Leah. Some are still seeing sense. But others believe every pathetic word that old bum says." She tells me. She hands me my order.

I sigh. "Knew it was something. Well, thanks for everything. See you later."

With that swirling around in my head, I leave the shop with Clair right behind me.

She speaks up. "You can't be letting this get to you, Leah. Everyone know that almost all of Stewie's big prediction are wrong. Only the little tiny almost meaningless ones are even sometimes correct."

I almost smile at her attempt to make be feel better. But what she says is completely true. Well, whatever, I don't care. I'll prove them wrong.

"Thanks, Clair. Come on, we have to get to school." I say as we arrive on the path beside it. I open the door and step aside, waiting for her to go in first. We've done this for a while for fun, trying to be the person who holds the door. We've gotten lots of practice for holding the door for other people. She smiles and I instantly return it.

"My lady Clair." I mocking respectfulness.

"My lady Leanna." She mimics me. My smile widens. We both laugh and enter the school.

~~~~~

How was it? Please point out and grammar/spelling mistakes. And I would like to clarify how Leah is pronounced; Lee-ah. Thanks. Oh and sorry it's a bit late. I know it's the start of the school year, but I'm stressing myself over nothing.

-M