003. REAL LIFE.

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.

when danny held her in his arms, he felt better.

"i missed you so much, baby," he whispered, and she nodded. to fill the silence, he added, "i was starting to think maya wasn't going to drive you back."

irena nodded again.

"are you okay?" danny pulled away from her so he could look at her face. he was surprised to see how emotionless she seemed and how vacant she looked. he felt an overwhelming feeling of panic take him. "irena? what's wrong? does something hurt?"

"my arm," she lied. her arm was numb, but she was determined to keep the lie. "i'll go take something."

"let me get it for you," he said, springing up from where they'd been sitting.

irena stood, shaking her head. she took her phone in the arm that didn't have the cast and brought it into the bathroom, where the advil was.

once the door was locked behind her, she whipped her phone out and began dialing a number. she doubted he would pick up, but it was worth a try.

and then, he answered the phone. "hey, irena!" the voice laughed.

"shohei.. for once in your life, listen to me," she mumbled, staring at the door. she was worried about danny hearing. "i'm going to leave him. two weeks. maya's coming with me. don't tell anyone. i'll be at your place -"

irena froze when she heard her boyfriend's voice from the opposite side of the door, calling her name. she hung up the call with shohei immediately, figuring she'd just have to pray that he understood.

she tucked her phone into her pocket and opened the door. she put on the smile that he always fell for. "sorry, danny. i had trouble getting the lid off the advil."

he only looked at her, holding her gaze. irena was beginning to think he'd heard everything when suddenly, he started crying.

"what is it?" she asked danny. her heart was heavy with the idea of leaving him.. despite everything he'd ever done to her, she still loved him.

"i'll never forgive myself for hurting you, baby.. i'm so sorry."

and he was sorry- she knew that. by now she understood how he worked. she knew that danny always had those nearly uncontrollable fits of anger and she knew that he always took it out on her. he would undoubtedly hurt her again.

"i'll be okay, danny. it's not your fault."