Chapter 25

I leaned back in the plastic chair overlooking the vault I escaped from. My eyes were closed as I listened to the sound of wind shaking the branches of the trees, then the sound of leaves crunching under footsteps. I opened my eyes at the steps stopped right behind me.

"Thought I might find you here, boss."

"You were right."

I looked out at the suburbs I used to live in, then glanced at Deacon. He pulled the other chair over and sat by me.

"I know it isn't easy, but you're doing the right thing."

I ran my hand through my hair. 

"It doesn't feel like it. When Garvey looked at me, all he saw was a monster."

Deacon sighed.

"He doesn't think that. He just needs some time to see that you really are making the best of the situation."

"Yeah, the situation I created."

Deacon took my hand.

"You can't beat yourself up about it forever, boss."

I pulled my hand away. 

"I think I need some time away from all of this. Away from the mess."

Deacon nodded.

"Solid plan. We could go to Far Harbor."

I looked over at him.

"You want to go back there?"

"Yes. You told me your life was an experiment a long time ago, and I found someone in Far Harbor with more insight on it. What do you think, boss?"

I nodded slowly.

"Alright. Sounds good. Let's go talk to Garvey and fill him in on the whole taking back the Commonwealth plan before we leave."

...

"Your plan was to start a revolution? That's risky."

Garvey shook his head at me.

"Fine, you have a better way? Go for it. I'm leaving."

I folded my arms as I looked at the Minuteman. He adjusted the hat he wore before responding.

"Where are you going this time?"

"Far Harbor. The Institute has had a grip on my life for too long. I need to free myself for once and for all."

I left the house, taking Deacon with me. We went to the workbench where I filled a few bags with supplies we would need for the trip. I passed him a bag and he slung it across his back.

"There's one more thing I have to do before we leave."

I set my bag down and jogged over to the cellar. I opened the door and dropped down. 

"Sanctuary is safe again. Go ahead, get back outside."

The settlers started climbing the ladder to leave. I stopped Sturges, holding his arm.

"Not you. We need to talk."

I waited until we were the only ones left in the cellar, and the metal door closed above us. I let go of his arm and leaned against the ladder.

"I'm leaving. But before I go, I want you to know something."

Sturges nodded.

"Go ahead. I'm listening."

I took a deep breath before continuing.

"Everything I did, all the terrible things. I never meant for it to hurt you. You were the only one really there for me after the Institute blew up. Over time, maybe you can forgive me. I don't expect anyone else will, but I'm hoping time can heal that."

I stopped myself before I started to cry, turning away to scramble up the ladder. I paused outside of the cellar.

"Good bye, Sturges."

I glanced down, making eye contact with the mechanic before leaving. I walked away, wiping my stinging eyes before I got back to Deacon.

"Ready to hit the road?"

"Yeah. Let's get out of here, Dee."

I scooped up the backpack that leaned on the workbench and pulled it on. Deacon tilted my chin up so I looked at him.

"Are you okay?"

I nodded.

"I just had to say goodbye to a friend."

"We won't be gone forever, boss."

I looked away, shifting the straps.

"We live in a radioactive wasteland. Nothing is guaranteed to last."

"I know one thing will last. You and me. Til the end of time, remember?"

I took a deep breath and smiled.

"That's right."

He took my hand and we started the long walk east to get to the coast. As we walked, my mind trailed off. It's nice to know that no matter how bad things get, I always have at least one person who will back me up. And I would do anything to keep it that way, even if it meant turning my whole world upside down. Multiple times.