Chapter 3

I followed the medical assistant to an exam room.

"Let's check your vitals," she said.

She had me step onto the scale.

"110 pounds," she said.

Then she took my blood pressure.

"Okay, now I'm going to need a urine sample, after that the doctor will be in shortly."

I took the cup and gave it back to her afterwards.

"I'm so nervous to see the doctor," I said to Darcy.

"Don't be nervous, everything will be okay."

There was a knock and the door and a tall, blonde lady in a lab coat walked in.

"Hi Alina, my name is Dr. Winters," she said warmly, "we did a pregnancy test and you indeed are pregnant."

I didn't say anything, I couldn't, I was still in shock.

"What's the date of your last period?" she asked.

I opened the period tracker app in my phone, "um May 24th."

"Okay," she said, "it looks like you will be due March 1st and you are 8 weeks along."

"That's awesome," said Darcy, "my son's birthday is the same day, looks like baby will share a birthday with their dad."

I smiled, that would be really sweet.

Next, she had me lie back. She put gel on my belly and then did the scan.

"There's your baby," she pointed to a little blob.

"Wow, it's so tiny," I said.

"That baby will grow very quickly though," she chuckled, "and here is the heartbeat. Congrats, you have a very healthy baby."

I listened to the heartbeat, it reminded me of when I would lie down on David's chest and hear his heartbeat. I really wish he were here with me right now, he would love this.

"You should start taking prenatal vitamins and just take it easy," she said, "any questions?"

"Nope."

"Aright Alina, I will see you at your next appointment, have a good day. Call me if you have any questions."

Afterwards, we made our way to go see David.

"I saw our baby today," I said.

He grinned, "really?"

"Yeah," I said, "they're really small, I'm only 8 weeks."

"I still can't believe we're having a baby," he said.

"Me too, I really wish you could've came to the appointment with me though."

"Oh but look," I said, pulling out the printed sonogram of the baby.

He picked it up, "they're so sweet and tiny. I love them already and I love you."

"I love you too, David."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day I woke up at around 10am and I still felt tired. But that feeling quickly faded away when I got up to run to the bathroom to throw up. Morning sickness is going to be the death of me. I couldn't wait to finally get this baby out. Not only was I throwing up just about every morning, I was also peeing a lot. I have to pee every hour, it's so annoying.

"Are you okay?" asked my sister, Tiffany.

"Oh yeah, I'm fine," I said as I rinsed my mouth out with water.

"You've been puking a lot lately," she said.

"I'm just sick," I replied.

"Everyday? Specifically, the morning?"

I froze, she knew, but I had to play cool.

"I must've eaten something last night," but she cut me off before I could finish my sentence.

"Are you pregnant?" she asked.

Well, there's no point in lying now, "yes."

"How far along are you?" she asked.

"8 weeks," I said.

"So David got you pregnant right before he got locked up, nice."

"I was going to tell mom and dad tonight," I said.

"Can't wait to see that shit show."

I frowned, "you don't think they'll kick me out or anything, right?"

"Honestly, they'll probably be very mad and disappointed but I'm sure they will accept it eventually."

"I hope you're right," I said.

"And If not, i can always cushion the blow by telling them I'm dropping out of college," she said.

"You're dropping out of college?!"

"Yeah, honestly it's just not for me. I want to try going to beauty school instead."

"You know, that might actually save them some money."

"Exactly, but I'm sure everything will be okay."

Later in the day, after my parents came home from work and were watching the news, I decided it was time to tell them.

"Hey kiddo," said my dad, "what's up?"

"Mom, dad, I'm pregnant."

"Is this some kind of a joke?" asked my mom, "because it isn't funny."

"It's not a joke. I'm about 8 weeks pregnant, David and I had sex right before he went to jail, but I love him and he loves me and we both love this baby."

I didn't want to tell them that David and I have been having sex for a while now because they'd be even more mad.

"I cannot believe you right now," said my dad, "you're only 16!"

I started crying, "I know, I'm sorry, but I plan on staying in school."

"I dropped out of college," Tiffany chimed in. I let out a weak smile.

"What?!" My parents freaked out in unison.

"I decided I want to go to beauty school," she shrugged.

"Okay, that's fine sweetie," said my mom, "Alina, go to your room while your dad and I figure all of this out. Tiffany, you too."

Tiffany and I quickly ran up the stairs, not looking back at the chaos we've created.