Chapter 3: Getting to know him

I've never been someone that comes across as an open book. I held myself and my thoughts closely and I was more of an observer and social chameleon of sorts. So as we entered into the markets, picking up food, drink, and necessities, Alex and I conversed a bit about my time as a priest and what it was like. Something I have no problem sharing with anyone because even someone as wicked as me can be redeemed right?

I learned in our travels that Alex worked as a bartender by night and was going to college during the day. He was late in getting to college for his own personal reasons and I did not press him on them. People usually came and told me things at their own pace and of their own volition. It was, as they say, I have an easy ear. That's about all that was easy in getting to know me.

We stopped by a few clothing stores so too, of course being the vain man that I am, I had to look good. I know it's not a good thing coming from an ex-priest, but I was no longer the man that entered into that life. I was something else, someone else now. Who exactly still remained to be determined, but under the surface there is always that dark side of my existence that I had to keep close, bound, deep within me.

I hadn't had the easiest life, but as they say, "There is always someone that has it worse" right? Well, I've been that person that had it worse.

After getting everything I could get for the day Alex and I had a quick lunch and can I tell you how much I missed a great roast beef sub? I couldn't wait for my inner foodie to come out and experience all of the flavors our city had to smother my taste buds with again.

We headed back to my place and Alex smiled as we entered my apartment and looked at him and frowned wondering what he was thinking exactly. It's not like there was much to look at anyway, "I'm glad my white walls, carpet, and furnishings bring such a bright smile to your face. May I ask why?" I said simply as I began to unload some of the groceries into the fridge and then unpacked some of the clothes, ripping tags and examining them for any adjustments that I'd need to make to have them fit, just so.

I saw the boy blues and I gave him an encouraging smile.

"Well, it's just that this place is so simple. It almost seems like what I'd expect from you considering what I've seen you buy today. It just makes sense. It's also odd to know what your old profession was and think that you have all those stereotypical things that you expect to hear from a priest and I am totally not getting that vibe from you."

I gave him my most charming smile and a quick wink,"I'll expect you to be surprised. I was a man before I was a priest you know? I also wasn't a simple man." I chuckled and began to roam among the bags and pulled out some more clothes some shoes. Nothing really special, just things for comfort for now as I kept going into the room that I'd chosen as my own and began to hang them up or put them in the dresser that was already provided with the package that the apartment came with.

"Is that so?" He queried with a playful tone to his voice.

"Yes Alex, your thoughts are loud. So ask me anything. I may or may not choose to answer. When I don't, do not take offense." I replied, still grinning.

"Why did you join the priesthood?" He began, "What did you do for a living before it?" What is your reason for leaving? What do you want now that you are out?" Spurting them off quicker than I could answer, I lined each question up in my head and took my time in answering them.

"Because I thought it was the safest and best place for me to recuperate from what I'd done." I rubbed my stubble chin on the next, "I did a lot of various jobs, even attended college for a brief period." As for my reason for leaving, I wasn't sure I wanted to reply to that just yet and returned with, still working on that. And lastly, I am not exactly sure, but I'll tell you when I figure it out. Alright?"

He laughed warmly this time, "Here I thought you were like all the other stuck up priests, but you seem so... Informal.."

"Well, I think I did say, I had a life before priesthood did I not?" Giving him a sly grin I continued, "Want to stick around for dinner? I can make some killer ribs if you are going to promise not to kill me when you realize how hot they are."

He narrowed his eyes at me a moment, "You aren't going to poison me, tie me up in the closet and take me out when you want to use me then throw me in the gutter when you have killed me are you?"

I raised my hand in mock surrender, "I don't think I'd be telling you the truth about being a priest only to come out and murder someone on my first day of freedom. That only gets me in the 'Do not drop the soap' type of situation." Then I gave him a mirth-filled laugh as I began to chop off the various types of peppers that I'd gathered for my own welcome myself home kind of party.

"Okay, I guess I trust you." He chuckled

I couldn't help but grin at his endearing nature, as I popped the top off a wine bottle and grabbed two of the new glasses I'd bought just for special occasions like this one letting it breathe while I prepped and seasoned the ribs,"I would hope so I have been with you all day. I wonder are you sick of me yet?"

"No, no! I didn't mean I wanted to leave or had fear of you!" He exclaimed swiftly. I so loved toying with people like him. I decided he was fun and he could stick around a while.

"Calm down, I'm just kidding. I suppose you will have to learn my sense of humor first." I finished the prep of the food stuffing it all in a large glass pot and covering it after adding my secret ingredient and smiled wickedly. I tried to reign that side of me in swiftly so I didn't give Alex the wrong impression. I just couldn't wait to be 'domestic' again. Who'd have thunk it right?