1

"There you are. Come on now, don't waste my time."

He took a step closer towards the bush, behind which I tried my best to hide, crumpling into a little ball of winter clothes and hair. I knew he hadn't found me yet, and he was just trying to scare the shit out of me and make me surrender myself.
Though he aced with an A+ in all bloody aspects of terrifying me, surrender was not happening yet.
I stopped breathing and any kind of noise which could occur due to my very existence. But my throbbing heart couldn't get calm yet, and I feared those fast beats could bring on my death.

Yes, death.

I shouldn't have left my cozy blanket, or shouldn't have sneaked out in the middle of the night, just to realise that the tug I felt in my heart brought me to a wrong place.

The person, just a few steps away, loomed over the bushes, still searching for the hint of life.
Why doesn't he just leave?

It's not like I could see his face in this darkness, that too with a mask covering his upper face, or that I could recognise his sharp jawline and glistening silver eyes under the moon, with tousled hair and light stubble near the chin.

I think I DO recognize him.

But I couldn't place this image of his with anyone I remembered yet. Also, I really wanted to forget this episode. But as he inched closer to the bush I hid behind, all I could think about was the variety of ways I could die in his hands. Tomorrow's news headlines flashed through my mind.
A 16 YEARS OLD FOUND STRANGLED TO DEATH.
No, my age won't even be determined.
UNIDENTIFIED BODY FOUND IN FOREST.
Or maybe, not even a body!
PARTS OF A GIRL FOUND SCATTERED IN FOREST.

Did I just imagine myself torn into pieces and thrown across the bushes?
Somebody stop me.

"Got ya!"
The voice did stop me from imagining things.
I looked up. His stare from above felt condescending. His silver iris started turning red, and a wicked smile spread across his face.

I am SO going to die today.

*****

A few hours ago.

I had planned a little visit at Ruth's home, and we were having an awesome time together until I decided to close the curtains of the window. I saw a person, entirely clad black, standing on the road, his eyes fixated on me.
As soon as our gazes met, the person immediately wore a mask, which covered half of his features. I tried to recognise him, but the light snowfall became much of a hindrance to my vision.

A second later, he was gone. He fled with a whoosh of air on the road.
Might be just my imagination?
But there were footsteps on the snow.
That was surprising.

No one was there, just those lonely footsteps. And my dear, dear mind stirred up to investigate.
I wore my jacket and walked out of the comfort of Ruth's bedroom. Ruth followed till her gates. The road was empty, and those footsteps were standing out fresh.

"Who was it? Saw anyone?" She asked again. I knew she had doubts. She might be thinking the story which I told her about the whoosh of air was something I made up, being too busy with the paranormal chitchat with her the whole time. Truth to be told, she thought that I was having delusions. But I knew what I saw, and I was adamant to know more. That person, looked familiar.
Who was he?

"I am gonna find out real soon. Go inside, I'll go by myself."
"Are you out of your mind? Let me call 911 then." She took out her phone to dial.
"No."
"Why?"
"He might be someone we know."
"So? That doesn't change the fact that he's a stalker."
She was right.

"Alright. I'll just drop the idea then."
"Good girl." She smirked.

We talked for a bit more in her room.
"Anyways, gotta go now. It's curfew time."
"Just stay for tonight. Call your mom and say it snowed knee-high."
"Do you think she won't notice the lie?"
Ruth's lips curved into a pout.

"Don't make that face okay? You know how bad it feels."
"Yeah, yeah. Try to be safe. Stalkers everywhere."
"I'm sure he was here for you though. Keep the windows closed."
"I did. Now go before your mommy comes here instead."

I walked out of her gates, trying to keep my hands warm enough.

The road still stayed empty. People are too lazy today it seems.
But the more I walked, the more I felt I was followed.
I looked back instantly.
No one.
But there are footprints on the snow.
A chill ran down my spine.
I was followed by that stalker, a person too fast for my vision.

I gathered the bits of courage inside me.
"Who's there? What do you want?"

No answer.
I turned back to road and ran.
I came to a halt again.
A black figure stood down the road, a few metres in front of me.

"Who are you?"
No answer again.
Instead, he started walking towards me.

"Just leave me alone!"
He continued to walk.

I ran again.
I didn't have much option. A road had forked from where I stood.
This road went towards the Pine forest.

The trees were too thin to hide behind, so I chose the bushes. It seemed he wasn't following me now, as I didn't get caught yet. I tried to call Ruth, but the 'No Signal' flashing on the screen killed my chances.
After a few minutes, which felt like decades, I thought of returning back.
That person, or whatever it was, might just be bored of me.
I placed my hand on my knees to stand up, but a twig cracked somewhere, and I turned towards the commotion. And I saw him walking towards my direction. He spoke for the first time, his husky voice creeping slowly closer, his sentences bringing shivers all over my body.
"There you are. Come on now, don't waste my time."

I tried my best to stay calm, but something inside me churned at his sight, and I knew I was going to get caught.

Ruth, I should have listened to you. Sleepover was a better idea indeed.

As I processed his image and the dangers coming along with it, I adjusted behind a thick bush, praying that he wouldn't know.
But he knew.
And now I was praying not to be found out.
But he found me.

**********
Hope you guys would like it. Your votes and comments will really help me keep going( )
Stay tuned for the next episode ()