38

"Vinnie, what was that?"
Dan was sitting in front of me on his bed, and his question made me curl up holding his pillow. Drew stood beside the bed, his face blank.

The tree which I was leaning on during their conversation was surprisingly hit by a massive lightning out of clear sky. The trunk split upright, with its inside still on fire. The leaves fell out slowly, all of them burnt to crisp.

As soon as it happened, my knees gave out.
Drew saw me just on time.

Luckily, the other trees were unharmed.

"Do you remember doing any of this?"
I looked at both of my palms and shook my head as a response.

"I'll compensate." I said at last.

"Dude, you don't have to. I'm not asking for that."
Dan's hand reached his temples.

"Vanessa, it's Rio right?"
Drew's words stung. I lowered my head further.

"Rio? What are you talking about?"
Dan raised his head towards him."

"Why not ask her?" Drew slowly sat beside me.

"Come on Vanessa, it's all because of him isn't it? The rage, the tension?"
I nodded.

Dan was still in disbelief, questions hanging on his lips. Drew nodded at me.

"I.... I heard you two talking about him. He and his .... supposed girlfriend. Couldn't ignore it. And this happened."

"Man, you like him that much?" Dan's voice soared high with surprise.

"I... I don't know."
The worst thing was, I couldn't disagree right away.

"One question, though. May I?"
Drew's voice cut in through my embarrassment.
"Yeah."
"That day, in my room, I didn't mention Rio, or anyone of that sort. Why did you explode like that?"

What? Is that even a question?
It was purely SELF DEFENCE!
Or was it?

"I wasn't actually very eager to kiss a stranger, that's why."

Dan shook his head, while Drew had a smirk on his pink lips.

"Yeah, yeah. I get it. Sorry."
He patted my head.

"Though your powers are unpredictable, those can protect you at times, so isn't it a plus?" His face glowed with a smile, which made me smile slightly.

Dan cleared his throat aloud.

"Now that we know the cause of your sneaky powers emerging, we can discuss about some ways to fix it, and maybe, make them emerge at the right moment?"

We nodded in agreement.

The discussion lasted till my curfew. I bid my goodbyes to them and walked out. Drew kept his hand on my shoulder, pouring some encouraging words in my ear. As I looked in his eyes, I sensed a tint of sadness. The smile wasn't as playful and wide as before.
Could it be because of me?
I tried not to overthink.

**********

Weeks had passed since then. With the tips received from Dan and Drew, I could slowly grasp the unravelling powers, which were bleak but conspicuous.

I still couldn't light a bulb though.

Today wasn't any different from other days, and yet I felt a bit uplifted. Ruth had already given me a call at midnight, but Dan hasn't mentioned it yet, even during our walk to school.
I slowly slid the door of my classroom, thinking of ways to get over with this day quickly. But I guess days like this one can't be avoided.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY VINNIE!"
The crowd sang in unison.

Yeah, it's my birthday. I've officially completed my hilarious misadventure called the sweet sixteen phase and stepped on yet another not-so-normal seventeenth year of life.

"Happy birthday, my girl!" Dan squeezed me tight in his arms. He opened his bag but made a disappointed face instead.
"I guess I forgot to keep your present inside."
He gave an apologetic smile.

"Thanks anyway."
"I'll give you later, after we get home."
I was already dragged inside a huge crowd by this time, with a chocolate cake sitting on the table. Someone handed me a knife. The whole bunch of people, known and unknown, sang the happy birthday song as I blew out the candles and cut the cake.
I felt like a kindergartener.

After the small ceremony with a greetings following it, I saw Rio striding towards me. I haven't talked to him since my unduly discovery, but today I won't get away so easily.

"Happy birthday Vanessa."
He stuck a hand in front of me for the handshake, and my hand went into his grip. It felt cool and soft against mine, and a curve appeared on his lips. I quickly retracted my hand, but the ominous feeling had already covered me with cold sweat.

He had held my hand.

A strong user can detect the powers inside me, that's what Dan had said earlier. And now it's too late.
But could I avoid a handshake on my birthday anyway?
The smile on his face didn't look suspicious.

He might not be as powerful as I thought.

"Hey people! Get back to your seats!"
Mr. Henry has already entered the class door, and the table with the cake was completely clean.
No trace of any celebration.
These people are really good at clearing evidences.

**********

I was packing my bag as the last bell rang. A finger poked at my shoulder. I turned around to see Rio, standing with a smile again.
His dark aura must have gone to sleep.

"Hey, so, do you have any plans right now?"

"Right now? Why?"

"I didn't have a gift for you, so, I thought I might take you somewhere instead."

He is asking for a date, isn't it?

"Before you say no, let me clear this. I'm not asking for a date. I just want to show you something, that's all."

Alright, he knows what he is doing.

I kept silent for a moment, and then nodded. I texted Dan and Ruth not to wait for me, and walked out with Rio.