Prologue

** Author's note: There's a bit of modified Shakespearean English ONLY in the Prologue - dialogue bits. For all those English majors out there, my apologies for tampering with it. But, I felt that it would not be understood by the majority of the readers otherwise. **

1500 years ago

It was a cold, dreary night and the velvety darkness seemed impenetrable by the sparkling stars and the soft, gentle glow of the full moon. Two men stood side by side as they watched the shadows of a small army of men build a massive wall which stretched across the vast continent. Only a small portion remained yet to be completed.

King John and King Masseo were the two men overseeing the construction and as dawn approached, the distinct difference between both sides of the wall grew more vivid. On one side, a soft blanket of white snow covered the land, glistening blindingly with increasing daylight and the tall pine trees bowed down from the weight of a thick layer of snow with pretty green peeking through.

The wall itself, made from jade-green rocks rose up high and extended as far as one could see. It towered over both sides of the land like a massive thousand-year-old tree stretching over a small daisy. All along the wall, the pristine white snow had turned into a brown slush, marred by the trampling of the men who were hurriedly laying the foundation.

Through the narrow gap, everything that could be seen on the other side was in shades of dark gray and black. Not a speck of color was visible. The ground was frozen and covered with black ice. The leafless trees with thick dark barks loomed menacingly and were covered in charcoal-colored snow. The land seemed to weep in pain. Even the breeze seemed too afraid to blow. 

"Well mine own friend, looks liketh we'll finish the wall before they waketh up," said King John, looking at the fierce and menacing companion by his side who was vibrating with the need to battle. 

King Masseo was tall, broad-shouldered and muscular. He wore a red cape and golden armor decorated with sharp, curved horns. His armor was embossed with the symbol of the sun, representing the Sun Kingdom. His helmet was especially fierce with two large spiraled horns at the top. 

King Masseo spared a brief glance at his companion who radiated peace and calmness despite the strange unnerving atmosphere. 

Compared to his companion, King John was equally tall, but leaner. A spiked helmet partially covered his long, somber face. Across his chest over the chainmail armor was a metal plate embossed with a black dragon indicating the kingdom he represented, the Dragon Kingdom.

"Aye I concur," replied King Masseo. 

No sooner had he uttered the words, than a low inhuman scream ripped through the air. Everyone froze with their hands on their preferred weapon, facing the dark side. Not a single man blinked. However, the silence did not last. Growls, yelps and ferocious snarling grew louder and the entire valley quivered in fear. 

"Masseo, we were wrong. It is beginning again. Completeth yond wall at any cost," shouted King John, running toward the wall. 

King John's most trusted and faithful men followed him shouting, "F'r the dragon kingdom." 

They charged towards the other side, jumping over the incompleted section and bypassing the men working tirelessly to finish building the wall.

The ground under their feet shook as the thundering noises grew louder and closer. On one side, the white snow fell off the trees making it seem like the trees were shriveling in terror. On the other side, the trees on the dark side loomed even more ferociously and appeared to reach out to grab the soldiers. Strange shadows darted everywhere. Everything was so dark that nothing could be made out clearly. All that could be seen were floating red lights that were approaching the men at an alarming speed.

It was only when the lights grew close, did the men realize that the red lights were, in fact, red eyes of the monsters. Their eyes were wild and gleaming maniacally. Drool dripped from their mouths. They ripped into each other as they made their way to the wall. The ones who made it, relentlessly threw themselves at the wall trying to break it down. One monster had the body of an elephant with the head of a tiger. Due to its relentless barrage at the wall, it's head split and started bleeding. Yet, it showed no signs of stopping. King John and his men fought valiantly even as few tried to gobble them up.

Transfixed by the bravery shown by the fearless soldiers, the men paused in their construction. "Hie men, stand not ho. Alloweth not the sacrifice go in vain," ordered King Masseo. The men shook themselves and began to work in earnest. They quickly finished the wall, locking King John and his faithful men on the other side.

The war cries of King John continued to echo on both sides of the valley invigorating everyone with respect and sadness. The last shout that was heard was, "It is an honor to fight and die by thy side, mine own liege." 

King Masseo looked terrifying. His brow furrowed making his eyebrows meet, eyes glinted ferociously, nostrils flared and lips pursed into a thin, straight line. A deep red flush marked his cheek and whether it was from the cold or due to anger was impossible to determine. His hands were clenched so hard that they turned white and he vibrated with restrained fury. To have lost another companion and such a close one at that was unacceptable. The men were terrified to meet his eyes or go near him. With a roar of fury, King Masseo stomped to his second-in-command. 

In a cold voice, King Masseo ordered, "Sendeth men all over the continent. Do spread the word. The wall hast been complete. But, falleth it shall. Whether now or after a few centuries, we knoweth not. Beware. Prepareth well.'"

King Masseo continued, "I shall personally go to the dragon kingdom and inform those folk of King John's demise. F'r his sacrifice, his kingdom shall forever has't our support and protection."

Thank you for reading this far.
Please comment and vote if you like.