Chapter 11

"Move it. You have 10 minutes," shouted a guard.

Startled, Antalasia sat up with a jerk. In a sleep-induced haze, she watched the other prisoners waking up and walking to the gate. Michaelo and Lizzy remained deep asleep.

"I said MOVE," shouted the guard and pushed a young woman which sent her sprawling on the ground. Everyone made haste.

Worried, Antalasia shook Michaelo and Lizzy awake.

"I'm so tired Antalasia," mumbled Michaelo as he leaned against his big sister. Lizzy too was exhausted.

"Come on. Hurry up. Otherwise, the guard will scold us," urged Antalasia.

The poor children so used to luxury had struggled to sleep on the uneven, pebbled ground despite being dead-tired from their long ordeal. They sleepily walked along with the group of prisoners.

Looking around, the children observed their surroundings. All the prisoners were being held in a small fenced area. A small distance away, there were a few buildings where the guards lived. Next to the buildings stood two tin sheds. One of the sheds was huge with a big doorway. On the opposite side, something shimmered in red under the bright morning light. At first, the prisoners were terrified that it was the Centi-Rhazaqats. But the red sea was vast and didn't move, only glimmered under the sunlight.

Recognizing the young woman walking beside them as the same person who had helped everyone the previous day, Antalasia turned to her and asked, "Who are you? Why are you so kind to us? What will they do to us?"

"Hold up little one. One question at a time. My name is Lydia. I'm the Gemmas' chieftain's daughter. As to why I help you, it's part of my tribe's culture. Along with being amazing fishermen, we are also healers. I don't have access to all the medicines that I would normally do. Therefore, I can't help much. But I do what I can," replied Lydia.

Lydia continued, "Since you are placed with us, you are a breeder. We'll be taking care of the Centi-Rhazaqats. Be careful though, if the creatures get angry, they'll gobble you up. If you are lucky though, you will be out in the field and nowhere near the Centi-Rhazaqats."

Antalasia looked at Lydia closely. She was very short, no taller than 4 1/2 feet. She was skin and bones with her collar bones and elbows sticking out. She was severely nourished. Her bright blue eyes screamed exhaustion and her wide generous mouth drooped tiredly.

"Why hasn't anyone tried to run away?" asked Antalasia.

"Run where? This place is dry and we would need a few weeks worth of food and water to travel back home. Besides, we are all too weak for the journey. Even if do manage to get back home, we are being hunted by these humans and their creatures. It's not safe anywhere. The bastard King Charles also attacks us," said Lydia hatefully.

The children were shocked to hear such terrible words spoken with such venom against their father. 

"I'm sure you are mistaken. Papa wouldn't do that. If he did, there must be a huge misunderstanding. When he rescues us, I'm sure he'll understand and rectify his mistake," said Antalasia earnestly.

Lydia looked confused for a few minutes. 

"Wait, you are King Charles's offspring! You attack us, burn us alive and sacrifice us to the monsters. Despite all the atrocities you have committed, you live happily and sleep deeply. I hate you," snarled Lydia furiously and stormed away. 

Shocked by the animosity shown, the children fell silent and continued walking. The entire group made their way to the red sea.  During the journey, slowly but surely, all the prisoners separated themselves from the three children.