ONE

ONE

You learnt a lot about a person working in a calender shop. Like today, this really nervous teenager had come in and – not meeting my eyes at all as I stood behind the counter to cash in his purchase – had bought a calender filled with naked women. An older lady had come in and bought a – no, not a cat calender, but a car calender, then on purchasing, she'd told me all about the different cars and that July's – a gleaming silver aston martin – was her favourite.

Pulling to a stop in front of my new home, I winced as I saw that one side of the guttering had fallen due to age. After leaving my ex-boyfriend, Matt Lafte, a couple of months ago, I'd gone to a house auction as I didn't have the money for a deposit, and I refused to rent out. In the end, I'd purchased a falling apart house in the centre of a field, in the middle of nowhere that had really suckish cell phone reception.

Climbing out my volkswagen fox, a car that I'd had since passing my test five years ago, it was only then, as I locked it manually, that I saw a dog laying by my front door. I frowned as it's head suddenly picked up at though it had only just sensed I was here. Moving forward, I saw red stains over the gravel, like something had been dragged. Looking at the dog, I realised that it had the form of a siberan husky… no, it was too big, maybe it was an alaskan malamute? A pitch black alaskan malamute.

“Hey, boy,” I cooed, wondering why it was laying at my door. Had he come here himself or had someone dumped him? Curse the people who did that! “Whatcha doing here?”

The dog gave me a puppy eyed look and stretched his head to look down at himself as though he couldn't move too much. Looking down it's form, I saw that it's fur on it's back legs was exteremly matted. Then I blinked, looking to the red stains, my eyes shot back to the dog's matted fur, the dog was hurt? I took a weary step back as I remembered what people said about injured dogs. But this dog didn't look aggressive, it looked calm, dispite the blood.

It's whimpher decided what I was going to do, moving over to the dog, I checked the injury, keeping an eye on the dogs teeth. But apart for watching me, it didn't move. “Can you move?”

The dog scented the air and whimphered again, but when I reached for the scruff of it's neck, the dog moved willingly enough, although it shook with effort to hold it's back legs up. Leaving the dog for a second, I opened the front door. “Come on, lets get that blood washed off and see what we have to do, huh?”

Keeping ahold of the dogs scruff, it didn't seem to mind as it's back came to my waist. Closing the door behind me, I lead the dog to the bathroom where on entering, it laid down with a groan of pain. Running water into the bath, I touched the dogs nose to feel that it was dry. “You poor thing, what happened to you?”

Pushing his head into my hand, I stroked the dogs fur, still surprised by how trusting this creature was being. Turning back to the bath, I turned the taps off and turned to the mamoth otherwise known as a dog. How in the hell was I supposed to get the dog into the bath to wash off the blood?

Shaking my head, instead, I grabbed a sponge and dunked it in the water. It was only as I was washing off the horrid amount of blood off the giant that I realised that I should have taken him to the vets. The poor thing had a massive gash on one side, and several smaller ones on the other side.