Agent River Pierce

{2}

"No need to do that, sweetie." She said, swiftly taking my phone and ending the call. I gaped at her in disbelief, already reaching to take back my phone. 

"I was just followed by three men, all the way from campus." I explained in a hurry. "They were dressed in all black."

I pointed to the four suited men on my sofa. "Just like them. Let me call the police!"

My mum shook her head at me with an amused expression. "No, you're misunderstanding. Sit down, and listen to what we have to say."

I narrowed my eyes at her, before giving in; it seemed like she knew what was going on. "Okay, but stay by me." I wanted her far from these strangers, although she seemed to be comfortable around them. 

She held her hands up. "I'm going to get our guests some drinks." 

Before I could protest, she had left the room in a flash, leaving me alone with these strangers. Rather than sitting down, I stood as far as I could across the room, away from them.

The eldest looking man cleared his throat, drawing my attention to him. "Hello Amelia. My name is Michael, and I can assure you that we have nothing to do with those men who, you say, were following you."

Three of them were watching me with serious expressions, except for the youngest looking one. He looked bored, clearly wanting to be anywhere else but here. Just when I was about to look away, his striking eyes caught mine in an instant. I almost recoiled from the shock I got from seeing his eyes, they were a silvery colour. 

Very unusual. 

I'm sure he'd be casted off the street, if a modelling agency member had seen him. He definitely is the type to turn heads, with his sleek black hair, structured, chiselled face, and those mesmerising eyes. His intense stare matched mine, two strangers meeting in questionable circumstances.

I tore my gaze from him, not bothering to take another glance. I didn't need to, one look is all it took to remember someone's face. 

"It's too much of a coincidence." I stated, looking unimpressed as I folded my arms. "Explain your presence in my home."

The men exchanged looks before answering my question. "For us to properly explain, we'd have to take you to a neutral location. Somewhere that we know is safe to speak about matters like this." Michael started to respond.

"No." I told them firmly.

Like hell were we going to go with them.

They refused to answer my simple question, and every part of my body was screaming at me to grab mum and run away. I shifted in my spot, and glanced out the window; already spotting five random men spread across my street. One of them was sitting on a bench, right next to mum's silver car.

My scowl deepened, realising the house was surrounded. 

Who were they, and what did they want?

"Why have you surrounded your men around my home?" I asked them calmly. "Do you realise how shady you look and sound?"

Surprised looks flashed across their face, startled that I had been able to spot their men so easily. Their men weren't wearing black, or in suits, but they definitely looked out of place. 

I knew the faces of everyone living on this street, including every visitor, cleaner and postman I've seen walk these streets. Not to mention how all five men are coincidentally and strategically placed along the street. 

Nothing can get by me.

"You're incredibly observant, aren't you?" The man beside Michael said, readjusting his glasses. "Those men are placed there for your protection, we know who had followed you today."