Chapter 1

Maybe we are bored. Maybe we want to entertain you. Maybe we just love you guys.

Love Amelie & Kaavya

Chapter 1:   

        I feel a slap on my face. My eyes fly open, and two seconds later my phone starts singing my alarm. I jump out of bed and bang my head on the headboard of my bed. I wince and rub my head, while looking up at my 30-year-old mother, Sents. “You’re late,” she hisses. It’s the same drill every day, she wakes me up 10 seconds early, just before my alarm rings. I don’t bother arguing, because I know it will just bring me more pain. My mother didn’t do the right thing fifteen years ago at his house. That party that she went to, I wish it had never happened, then I wouldn’t be in this world, I wouldn’t have a black eye every day. If she hadn’t gone to that party, I wouldn’t exist. At least I’d be happier than I am now. The sound of a new man coming into my mom’s room every night wasn’t the most encouraging sound. You would think that she would’ve learned from me, the mistake, but instead she acts like it never happened.

“Are you getting up or not?” she taunts, a smirk tugging under her eyes.

Slowly sitting up, I look at my mom. She stinks of whiskey, and with her underclothes sticking out of her work dress from yesterday, I knew that she had brought someone else home last night. She hadn’t come home till very late, because I had stayed up till 12.

“Such a piece of shit, this girl,” my mother mumbled under her breath.

“You’re the piece of shit that created me, you dumbass,” I muttered back, hoping she didn’t hear me.

The minute those words came out of my mouth I regretted it. Before I knew it, I felt a hand whip me across the face, and a leg kick me into the shin. I fell down on the floor, and hit my back on the hardwood. I’ve gotten used to the feeling, but this time, something was different, something made her more mad than usual. I stared up at her, hatred filling my light, hazel eyes.

While I lay there on the ground, she looked down at me, her “Drew, you don’t get to call your mother shit nor a dumbass. Ever heard of the term, ‘respect your elders’,? Now get your ass up and get dressed, I’ve got to leave.”

Why was it me? What did I do to deserve this life, why me? I wonder why she even said ‘get dressed’, in the first place. Has she forgotten that she spends all of her money on herself and none on me? Usually, I wear what I sleep in. But today was special, today was the first day of school. First day of a year where I go to school where everyone cares about first impressions. Where everyone plans their outfits months before schools start, everyone thinks that coming back to school is a time to find your new best friend, someone who is exactly like you, well let me tell you that is a load of bullshit. That only happens in fairy tales, where you find a person who understands, who thinks like you, someone who cares.

        I grab my black skull notebook of the floor and a too small to hold pencil and stuffed all of it in the backpack I found in a dumpster. And then I forgot, I had bought myself a new phone and laptop. I worked after school for four years at a coffee shop. With all that money I bought myself a phone and laptop. Grabbing both of my new items and stuffing it in my bag, I realized that my mom took my keys. I guess I would be sleeping in the library tonight, this wasn’t unusual, oh no it wasn’t, my mom always took my keys if she had lost hers at a guys house, or left hers in the club. Opening the door I thought to myself; Mom abusing me in the morning, check. Nothing to wear, check. No keys, check. Yup, I was ready for my first day of 9th grade. Good luck Drew, you’re gonna need it.