chapter 13

2 months later

archie

"Do you ever get into moods where you feel very sped up or irritable?"

I think back to when I fought Jughead.

"Yes."

"At times have you been much more interested in sex than usual?"

I think back to that night with Betty.

"Yes."

"And finally, have you ever been very angry or hostile for no apparent reason?"

I think back to the booth at Pop's with Betty, when I grabbed her wrists and wouldn't let go.

"Yes."

"Alright." The doctor says.

"So.. what's the deal?" I ask.

"Usually I'm not supposed to tell you without a parent in the room but you seem old enough to understand."

"Go on..?"

"Well it sounds like you have bipolar disorder. We can start you off with some medication and if it doesn't work there are plenty to try..."

The doctor continues talking but to be honest, I didn't exactly hear anything after he said 'bipolar disorder.' As soon as I get home, I hop on my laptop to start doing research. I type 'qualities of bipolar disorder' into the search bar and click on the first link.

•Uncharacteristic periods of anger and aggression.
Grandiosity and over confidence.
•Needing little sleep to feel rested...

As I read on it all begins to make sense. Everything I've done in the past few months had been completely out of character. Especially to Betty. I was so awful to her. I know she probably won't want to see me, but she has a right to know. I shoot her a quick text.

betty

*ding*

archie (stupid whore): Betty, I know you don't want to talk to me and I really don't blame you, but I promise you it's important, please meet me at Pop's. It really needs to be in person.

My heart skips a beat. Last time I met him at Pop's, I left with bruises scattered on my wrists. Why would he want to talk to me? Should I trust him?

betty: why should I trust you

archie (stupid whore): I know I've been a complete asshole but this is truly important, if it wasn't I wouldn't text you.

betty: fine. you have five minutes. be there at 7.

I know it may be stupid, but I feel like I have to know what he wants to tell me. I was going to Jugheads at 7:30 anyways. I check the time. 6:45. I pull on a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt, then head out the door.

When I arrive at Pop's, Archie is sitting in a booth, head down. I cautiously make my way over. He doesn't notice me until I scoot into into the bench. We make eye contact and he looks away. It looks like he's been crying.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"So um, I really don't know how to put this, so I'm just gonna come out and say it."