Chapter 1

Maria hid in the corner of the ballroom. Fan open. Shielding her face. Her dark brown hair was pinned back with a silver clip. Ringlets framed her face. She wore a peach empire dress with high-waisted trimming in silver. More silver trimming boarded the wide neckline. Sheer sleeves. Her fan was white lace. Despite wearing a mask that matches her dress; covering her eyes and nose. Her best friend, Sophia, gracefully inched over to her. She wore a similar dress but in mint green. Sophia's mask match her dress and was trimmed with gold. Her light red hair was rolled in a bun and decorated with white feathers. Sophia followed Maria's gaze. Searching the ballroom. The party took place in the kingdom of Glennshire. Held by Prince Patrick. The room was decorated with the kingdom's colors. Purple, orange, and white. Bouquets of lilacs and white carnations sat on tables and stands. The string quartet played lightly in the background. Hundreds of people mingled, danced, or drink wine. The atmosphere was lively.

"Lady Maria, don't you think the fan is a bit much?" she questioned her friend. Giggling a little. "I'm sorry, Lady Sophia, but I didn't want to take any chances," Maria spoke softly as she closed her lacy white fan. "Since when you so formal?" Sophia questioned her. Tapping Sophia's forearm with the fan. Just then two men walk up. One taller in a forest green suit with a matching mask. His dark brown hair was slicked back, length almost to his shoulder. It was tied with a ribbon that matched his suit. He bowed and took Sophia's hand. Kissing her knuckles lightly as he greeted her, "Lady Sophia, you look lovely this evening."

"King Peter, always with the compliments," she blushed. Sophia unfolded her fan and covered her smile. Pete gave her a flirtatious grin. Maria smirked. "Hello Peter," Maria said, folding her arms. "Maria, manners," Sophia whispered to her. "Oh please," Maria sighed. Pete bowed to Maria, "How is my favorite wallflower?"

"Well. Caused any trouble lately, your highness?"

Pete chuckled, "A little." He turned to his friend. A man shorter than him by a few inches, wearing a dark blue suit and matching masked. Dirty blond hair and beard. His eyes were as blue as the ocean, catching Maria's. She felt as if she was being swept out to sea. His smile was comforting. "I would like to introduce to you, my friend-" Pete started. "Sir Vaughn," he spoke up. Pete turned to him. "What?" he questioned softly in Vaughn's ear. Vaughn ignored him. Bowing to greet them. The ladies both curtsied. Turning, Sophia took hold of Pete's sleeve. "I need to speak to you privately," Sophia spoke in a harsh tone. Pete agreed as Sophia tugged him away.

As soon as they left, Maria opened her fan once more. Doing her best to go back to hiding. "I'm sorry if I'm forward, lady?" Vaughn stepped towards her. "Maria. Lady Maria Nightingale of Briargarden," she said, avoiding his gaze. "You seem more interested in your fan than other people. May I ask why?" he asked her. Standing next to her with his hands behind his back. Looking out at the guests dancing and mingling.

"I'm happiest when surrounded by a few friends."

"So am I. Thankfully, this is a masquerade ball."

"Yes, the one ball Prince Patrick throws this season and it's a masquerade. Yet, I don't see him anywhere."

Vaughn faces her. "He's often across the room. Against the wall. The only one I see with a hat covering his face. Once in a while, he'll wave," she spoke warmly, "If I'm lucky, we'll converse in passing. I haven't seen him in ages." Maria's cheeks turned a rose pink. Thinking of him. She's been secretly searching for him all night, but Prince Patrick has yet to appear. "You notice me-ah! You noticed him..." Vaughn stammered. Face red. Maria glances at him as he rocks on his heels nervously. She lowered her fan. Raising an eyebrow. Vaughn started to lift his mask.

"Lady Maria!"

"Oh shoot," Maria grabbed his arm and used Vaughn as a cover. In her heels, she was at eye level with him. He held his breath. Never imagined being this close to her. Vaughn was practically sweating bullets. His heart raced. They gazed into each other's eyes.