"The Edge"

"I never thought I'd be the one that you would break" from "The Edge" by Tonight Alive

When we first met, I never thought that you'd be The One to break down my walls. She was in a vulnerable and dark place in her life when He came. After years of giving her love and attention to the one who took her for granted, she took the courage to leave him. It wasn't easy. Then He reached down to her and offered His hand; she took it almost immediately. His kind and affectionate words consumed her, and led her to the light that she craved so dearly. The one who took her for granted wailed at her absence, realising too late that what he had in the first place, was everything he needed in his life. She felt sorry for the one who took her for granted, despite the misery she suffered when she was with him, and prayed for his happiness. She prayed for the poor soul in the hope that he would change his ways, and find love again. She never looked back after that; the light that He promised comforted her and made her feel safe.

When we first met, I never thought I'd be the one that you would break. Months had passed and she was happier than she had ever been in all those years of pain and suffering. The One who reached out to her loved her with all of His heart. She lowered her defences, as did He, and they shared stories of love and sorrow, beauty and tragedy, the highs and lows of their lives. Quite quickly, she had begun to fall without knowing. Quite quickly, He had fallen also. Quite quickly, the love they shared was about to end just as it had begun. The light He promised began to fade, and she found herself surrounded in pools of woe, listening to ghoul-like whispers that 'He had been unfaithful'. All at once the earth shook, the skies turned red, the seas violently crashed at the shore, and she struggled for air that failed to reach her lungs. She knew the whispers were untruthful, and that all her other worries were scenarios created by her insecurities. She confided in Him and He assured her that everything was going to be okay.

When we first met, I never thought I would be alone again. It all became too much; the arguments, the rumours...so, He left. On that apocalyptic day, her world crumbled and she felt nothing. All that she had lived for, disappeared. Only her, yet again, broken heart and endless tears remained. How could she have been so naive? How could she have been so stupid? How could she have allowed her heart to become vulnerable again? Many unanswered questions buzzed around in her head, and she found herself being swallowed up in a deep dark pit of despair and loneliness.

You were everything to me. Who will save her now?