The Promise

Chapter 1: The Promise

     I huffed lightly when rain unexpectedly fell from the sky; I stared at the darkened clouds trying to remember everything that happened that day. My eyes closed and I let out a huge sigh, my hands clutched on the bouquet of roses that I was holding.

     When I walked through the lonely streets Tokyo, my lips quivered as tears fell from my face mixing with the rain. The people of the city are now asleep in their homes quietly, but it’s very rare for a young girl like me to be awake at this hour.

   Usually at the age of 14 children are supposed to be asleep for school in the next day or they would just stay at their homes to play computer games or having a great bondi9ng with their families, but I’m different. I’m all alone in a city living on a shrine just outside Tokyo, continuing training the family combats, travelling from place to place to exorcize demons or evil apparitions, having a job as a watcher and having only one functioning eye.

    Yep…

    I’m not like those kids here in Tokyo…

     My feet started walking again trying to reach my destination early but it seems I wasted too much time again; the rain showered harder every step I took. My wavy hair straightened by the wetness of the rain, my pain skin shivered a bit by the strong breeze accompanying the storm.

 As I reached the gates of the shrine the rain started becoming much stronger than it was before, I stopped awhile when I spotted a small butterfly resting on top of my master grave, when I went over my finger poked at the butterfly and I was surprised when it went on my pointer as if it was feeling relaxed when I touched it.

   That was a rare random experience, usually butterflies finds shelter whenever it rains. It seems this isn’t a normal butterfly at all, my fingertips caressed its golden wings and it fluttered a bit. A minute later the butterfly flew away which was weird.

   I ignored what happened just a second and placed the Bouquet in front of the tomb; I clapped my hands together and started chanting prayers. My eyes closed meditating through the stormy night, the rain started to get stronger by minute but I didn’t mind at all.

   Once again my eye opened and my small lips curled into a small smile, but in a minute it grew into a harsh one. I chuckled lightly and stared down at the grave and to the flowers, both my hands clenched until blood dripped on the ground.

   “Master…What are you trying to turn me into?” I asked while I laughed, tears mixed through the rain, my hands clenched harder as more blood dripped down from my palms.

  I leaned my head back and laughed harder, thunder roared through the sky and flashes of lightning came along. The rain became furious and the clouds covered the bright moon.

“Master all these years I tried to-to-to prevent myself-self from k-killing Him! B-But I can’t h-help it! No-no m-matter how I t-try, I can’-can’t stop! Ha!  Want t-to do-it!” 

  My stomach violently turned when I laughed and heavily catched my breath, I fell on my knees when I realized what I was doing. Instead of laughing once more it turned into quiet whimpers and sobs, my hands rested on top of my master’s grave.

    Tears poured down my eyes, my lips quivered and my body violently shaked trying to remember what happened that day. My nails were digging on the tombstone, my toes curled lightly.

   The rain slowed down as if it was comforting me, the dark clouds were moving from the calm night. My body slumped gently on the floor, I stared at the moon once more and blur was clouding on my eyes.