Chapter 28 - Second Chances

Draco.

A great sadness flooded over him as he fled the Potter household. All he could picture was Hermione’s disgusted face as she pushed him away. She didn’t remember the time they had shared together or their home in which they lived together. But what hurt him most deeply was that she didn’t remember that she was in love with him and it was his fault.

What had he done wrong? Draco thought he had performed the memory charm quite efficiently but obviously he had wiped just a little bit too much of her memory. He didn’t know what to do or where to go. So he kept walking. It was dark and cold but somehow that didn’t bother him. His heart had just been broken into tiny pieces.

There was nothing he could do. Hermione didn’t love him anymore. She had been the only person in his life that was still there for him. And now he was alone. Of course, he had grown closer to Potter and his friends but not nearly enough for them to truly care about him.

After endless walking, Draco came to halt. He found himself beside a gentle, flowing river that glistened in the moonlight. He sat down on the bank and curled into a ball, bringing his knees to his chest. His mind was reeling with fond memories on Hermione. He thought back to their meeting in that grubby, muggle pub, how they had argued over her pathetic, incessant crying and how she had stupidly been hit by a car. It all seemed such a long time.

He had never imagined his life to turn out this way. He wondered what would have happened if he had never ran away from his wedding with Astoria. Would his parents still be here? Would he be happy with her?

Draco released a huge sigh that was shaky due to the fact he was almost in tears. He had never felt so heartbroken. 

All of a sudden, he heard a loud crunch from behind him. He twisted his head quickly and to his utter surprise a ginger headed woman was stood a few feet away from him. Ginny Weasley. He frowned considerably before swivelling back to gaze into the river. However she did not leave as Draco had hoped. He heard her walk closer then slowly lowered herself so that she was sat next to him. Draco made no effort to speak to her. He didn’t even know what she was doing here. They had never really had a proper conversation before only mild small talk and pleasantries.

“How are you feeling?” She asked after moments of absolute silence. He did not understand why she was making the effort to speak to him, unlike with Hermione he didn’t have the urge to spill his deepest feelings to the ginger witch. So he shrugged casually.

“You know love is a very powerful thing.” Ginny smiled, turning her head towards him.

“And?” Draco replied, seemingly annoyed. He didn’t exactly want her giving him advice. It was too awkward.

She chuckled quietly at his bitterness, not the reaction he had wanted.

And just because Hermione doesn’t remember what happened between you doesn’t mean she can’t still love you…”

Now he was confused. What the hell was she talking about? She had seen the way Hermione reacted. She despised him.

“She hates me…” He croaked faintly, desperately trying to stop the tears from welling up in his eyes.

“No she doesn’t…” Ginny confirmed.

This caught Draco’s attention causing him to look up. His forehead creased as he gazed at her.

“What?” He breathed.

Ginny’s eyes were kind and he felt a strange connection to her, it wasn’t as deep as it was with Hermione of course, but there was something.

“I’ve known Hermione a long time and she is a very understanding person” Ginny smiled, “She can read people.”

Draco nodded. He had never really contemplated Ginny and Hermione’s friendship. He guessed she knew her a lot better than he had perceived.

After a prolonged silence, Ginny finally lifted herself up, straightening her clothes and taking in a deep breath.

“What I’m trying to say Draco… is that Hermione fell in love with you once… who’s to say she won’t do it again?” and with that she began strolling off into the distance.

He was most definitely intrigued by her words. Perhaps it was possible for him to build a new relationship with Hermione. He would get her to fall in love with him all over again. Was it going to be that simple? Probably not, but Draco was certainly going to give it a try.

Hermione.

“Draco Malfoy and I were dating?” Hermione said slowly, her eyebrows rising on her forehead. It was a foreign idea. She almost had to stop herself from giggling. Apart from him being particularly attractive, she didn’t see the appeal. She couldn’t imagine herself having anything in common with him. But if they had dating previously maybe she was judging him too harshly.

“We thought it was crazy as well…” Ron laughed

Hermione gave him a crooked smile. She still wasn’t over the idea that she and Ron were no longer together and that a glamorous, blonde woman now laid in his arms. She had discovered that her name was Astoria, but she wasn’t keen on knowing any other details.

She wanted to ask him what had happened between them but she thought it was probably not the best time.

“So where is Malfoy… I mean Draco now?”

Harry shrugged, “I don’t know, Ginny’s gone looking for him…”

Hermione grimaced at this. Were she and Draco friends? She definitely didn’t think they seemed like likely friends.

“Why Ginny?” She questioned with a puzzled look.

“Because she’s the only one he doesn’t have past problem with” Harry explained, “I thought it might be easier for her to talk to him.”

She smiled. It was weird that Harry cared about Draco so much considering their previous rivalry. It must have taken them a lot of strength to put their differences aside for her sake. It was heart-warming to know this. Their relationship had obviously impacted all of her friends.

Just then, Hermione heard the front door open.

“I’m back!” Ginny called, pacing into room where they were all gathered. Harry instantly through his arms around her in effort to warm her up. She beamed at her friends who would undoubtedly in love.

“What happened Gin? Did you find him?” Harry queried after releasing her from the embrace. Ginny nodded,

“I spoke to him… I think I may have got through to him” She grinned, before glancing over to Hermione.

“He really cares about you” She announced, staring seriously into her eyes. Hermione knew she was right, she had seen the way Draco looked at her and although she did not remember their relationship, she was willing to give him a chance and get to know him.

“I know.”