Chapter Eight

Fun fact: I live really close to Chatsworth House, which is where the movie Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley version) chose for their Pemberly. It's a lovely house, and massive. It also has a petting zoo, which is my favourite bit naturally.

Love, Cam

Madeline Darcy

In which I start to seriously piss Caroline Bingley off

When Thomas returned from daycare, Francesca and I made our way to the 'den', as Gates had dubbed it, and I retrieved Sleeping Beauty from our film collection. It had been Gigi's favourite growing up, but I didn't say that to them.

Thomas eagerly waited for me to put it on, the old-fashioned music drifting from the surround sound speakers, and then settled himself right in the middle of the sofa. That saved me, at least, from sitting directly next to Francesca. It had been hard enough maintaining eye contact with her after seeing her in Gates' athleticwear.

"Aunty Maddie," Thomas said, causing Francesca to choke slightly on her drink and me to start in alarm. "Who's your favourite villain?"

"Uh, Disney or otherwise?" I asked, as Francesca recovered herself.

"Disney," he confirmed.

"I like Maleficent," I replied, nodding at the screen. "I like that she wasn't invited to a party and decided to ruin everyone's lives. It's a level of petty I aspire to."

Thomas probably didn't follow every word I said, but he got the gist, and giggled. "I like her too. She's my favourite."

Judging by the expression on Francesca's face, it had not been Thomas' favourite until two seconds ago. I quite enjoyed winding her up, I found. She had this quiet indignance in her expression mixed with absolute dedication to disliking me, and it was kind of funny to watch her try not to find her son's response hilarious.

"Well, then we match," I told him, which made him brighten and cuddle into my side. I didn't mind that at all; he was sweet, and he wasn't perpetually sticky and needy like a lot of children. I didn't begrudge children that, but I would rather stay away from them where possible. I put my arm around him, letting my hand rest on his tiny shoulder, and patted him gently like I would a dog. That was probably a bit of an unfair comparison, but he reacted much like a dog would by flopping against me properly.

When Aurora started singing, I found myself humming along. Francesca looked at me in complete surprise, and in a fit of childish impulsivity, I took Thomas' hand and started waving it in time to the music, singing along.

I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream

I know you, the look in your eyes is so familiar a gleam.

I dared her with my eyes to say anything. I had an utter disgrace of a voice. I couldn't sing for toffee, and I knew it, so I sang loudly and without a care in the world. Thomas joined in, enjoying the song, even though he clearly only knew half the words. Francesca stared at us for a moment, and then, as though she was trying to find a rebuttal, she started singing too.

And I know it's true, that visions are seldom what they seem

But if I know you, I know what you'll do

You'll love me at once,

The way you did once upon a dream.