chapter 1♡

It's a cool May evening in Seatle, I'm sitting on a squeaky wooden bench. My body is covered in sweat, after a 3 mile jog around the city. I catch a cab and decide to head home.

   I find myself dragging my legs up the steps to my penthouse. I have always loved my beautiful sixth floor home. I can walk in and admire the view of the busy city under me. My only problem is that I've always been so alone.

   In an effort to rid myself of my loneliness, I adopted Cookie. Cookie is a one hundred seventy pound, brown and white Newfoundland. Unfortunately, I am still a lonely single woman.

   My best friend, Annabeth and I run an art shop. I am a well known artist and she is an antrepeneur. We started "Cookies and Paint" (our dog's names) for art supplies sales but we ended up giving lessons to children and adults. Buisness has thrived because there is no other place like it in this city.

   I step into my house to see Annabeth sobbing on my white leather couch. Cookie is sitting on the couch with her licking her face.

   "Ann?" I stand in the door way shocked. I start to walk over and her head pops up.

   "THEY SUED US MILA!" She rests her head back into her hands and manages another muffled sob.

   "WHO ANNABETH, WHO!" I screamed back so frustrated that she wouldnt just tell me and stop crying like a two year old. She eventually reached into her beige designer purse and grabbed a tissue from it. She quickly wiped up her smudged mascara, walked to the kitchen trash can, threw out the tissue, sat down and put on a straight face.

   "I recieved this in the mail today." She pulled out an envolope from under my couch and handed it to me.

   I flipped open the envelope inside were tens of legal papers and documents stating that we were being sued for breaking a contract. At that moment in time everything came back to me. When we started the shop we were young and dumb. A big company called Sun Lit Incorporation had us sign a contract basically saying that they would pay all costs to start up the buisness as long as once the company was worth 700,000 dollars it would have to be handed over to them. I didn't understand why they were suing still they never asked for the business.

   "I did this." She wispered to herself.