prologue: maybe this was fate

August 1st, 2000.

Katherine was in disbelief. Sitting on the toilet seat, she stared at the little stick in her hand.

Two lines, staring right back at her.

How could this be possible? She was on the pill and never missed a day.

How did this happen? Why did this happen? Maybe this was punishment. Maybe this was the universe's way of telling her that she should have stayed in Boston and not follow Tony all the way back to Malibu. Maybe she should have listened to her mother. Maybe she should have stayed away. Or maybe the stars aligned and this was meant to be. Maybe this was fate.

Swallowing the lump in her throat, she stood up and walked towards the sink. She placed the pregnancy test on the sink and washed her face. After turning off the facet and drying her face, she met her reflection on the mirror. Her face was red and blotchy. Closing her eyes, she took a deep breath.

In and out. In and out. In and out.

Pregnancy tests can be wrong. They're not always reliable. She probably just had a stomach bug.

"It's okay," Katherine whispered to herself. "I'll just make an appointment with Dr. Garcia, and I'll find out I'm not pregnant, and things will go back to normal, and everything will be fine."

She grabbed the pregnancy test and tucked it under her shirt. Even though she peed on a couple of minutes ago, she didn't want Tony to see it just in case he was in the room. She didn't want him to find out and wanted to wait until she knew. Walking back into their shared bedroom, she slipped the pregnancy test into her purse and started to get ready.

"Come back in bed Kat," Tony mumbled, sheets covering his naked body.

"I can't. I have to get ready for work," she answered, as she was changing into a white button down. "And you need to get ready too before your late again."

"I'm the CEO, I decide when to go to work. And since I'm your boss, I order you to come back to bed with me." Katherine looked over her shoulder and saw Tony with a smug smirk on his face. She rolled her eyes and threw the pants he discarded the night before at him.

"Get up loser." Tony caught them and started to get out of bed. Katherine tried her best to keep herself from smiling, but the corner of her lips betrayed her. Pulling a pair of black trousers up, she felt Tony's body coming from behind. His hand caressed her hair and softly kissed the side of her head.

"Kat, you are amazing you know that?" Tony said as he peppered her face with kisses. Katherine now had a huge grin on her face and felt her cheeks warm up. "So amazing." His hands slide down her waist as he continued to whisper sweet nothings in her ear and for a couple of seconds she forgot what happened in the bathroom not too long ago. Then she felt his hands crept under her shirt, onto her stomach and jumped away.

"What's wrong?" Tony asked her, slightly surprised by her reaction.

"Um- uh, your hands are cold." She stammered, turning around to face him. She felt her heart beating rapidly and her face heating up even more.

"Oh okay. I'm sorry for my cold hands."

"It's fine, it just freaked me out a little." Tony reached out for her hands and pulled her closer. He leaned in and gently pressed his lips against hers.

"You're such a weirdo," He said, pulling back slightly and resting his forehead against hers.

"Well, your dating this weirdo." Katherine nervously chuckled.

"Yeah, and I also love you, so I guess that also makes me a weirdo too huh?"

"I guess so." At this moment she knew no matter what happens Tony will always be there for her. All the anxiety she felt slipped away and right then and there, it was just the two of them. Maybe it's not so bad she's pregnant. All she needed was right here.