Chapter 13

Jaz sat quietly. 

"Well?," I ask in frustration. 

With an innocent expression, Jaz replied, "Oh, you mean what next? You still have to face trial. Based on the result, you will have to check with the department regarding your job."

I reply darkly, "I don't want my job back. I don't plan on returning. However, that wasn't what I was asking. Who was it? Why did they do it?" 

Jaz looked at Lizzy doubtfully, biting her lip. So sexy. I want to kiss her. 

Lizzy moved next to me and put her arm around in support.

Lizzy continued, "Peter, it was Blade. He was dating Carla Zanders and was furious when you ended up ripping her dress. Her nude pictures had ended up on the internet. They were both angry and concocted this horrific plan of throwing you into jail after embarrassing you. He drugged you with the coffee that he brought for you. I'm sorry honey. They are both caught and can't do anything more. You are safe."

I was shocked. My partner, the man who had my back, the man whose back I swore to cover, betrayed me. I couldn't believe that I was hoodwinked to such an extent. I suddenly recalled pouring my coffee into George's cup. 

I looked at Jaz in pained shock and asked, "Did George die because of the coffee I poured?" 

Jaz nodded, reluctant to let me find out the truth.

I had killed a person. While it had been unwittingly, I still killed a person. I am horrified and disgusted with myself. A life had been taken and I cannot imagine the trauma his family is going through. My actions from ripping Carla Zanders's dress to pouring coffee into George's cup have resulted in a man's death. I'm not sure if I will ever recover from this. Even if the court clears me, I don't think I can ever forgive myself. 

** END **