Tales of Oceanpunk

U P D A T E

Tales of Oceanpunk won first place for Wattpunk's 'Tales of Oceanpunk' contest, and it's been moved to an individual 'work' to be included in their Oceanpunk Reading List!

Steam whistled through the rusted pipes forming smokestacks in the cloudy sky. The Mechanical Squid- the city on water. The iron ship was by far the best thing that ever came out of that small town. Trying to recreate such a magnificent vessel was practically impossible. The wooden ships that followed were never as large or as strong, and there hadn't been enough metal to make another of that scale. Along with resources, it seemed all the great factory workers left to live on their creation- except Adelaide's grandfather.

He helped build the ship, and when he suffered from unbearable pains, Adelaide's father stepped in on the factory line in his place. It was a shame they'd finished assembly a few years before she was of working age. Not that they'd let a girl work on the line without backlash, but she would cut her hair or bandage her growing body if it meant she could be closer to the ocean.

It'd be another year to hear the tales of the ocean. Glimpses of mermaids, buried treasure, pirate fights, and underwater cities. The Squid would come by twice a year if their town was lucky, the men were too busy sailing to keep track of time. But here, on land, time was of the essence. Tending to the crops, growing the cattle in time for The Squid's return to restock. Every task she was assigned seemed to revolve around providing for the ship's people in one way or another.

Adelaide glanced at the sheep, counting them all quickly. Even working at The Salty Saloon where the crewmen would gather after docking would be a step up from shepherding. She'd have to bus tables all year long to hear their stories for a night or two, but it'd be worth it. Or she could tend to the flocks on the ship. Her father was out on the docks, trading seven of their sheep to the onboard shepherds.

The ship's blaring horn was an instant reminder of its glorious presence. What'd she do to live on a ship like that, sail the seven seas- even if it wasn't on a ship that big, just to be out there.

Her hand tightened around the nautical compass her grandfather gave her. He said it had broken on the factory line, and as a token for his hard work he was allowed to keep it. There was a small crack on the glass, and the needle would sway whatever way she turned it, but the brass- oh, the brass was her favorite part. Her fingertips glided over the smooth bronzed metal as she pictured the same metal being used for the ships.

Captain Adelaide KnightDale. She sighed. One day... one day she was going to be the captain of The Mechanical Squid.