01. THE CALM

THE CONJURING

CHAPTER ONE: THE CALM

IF there was one thing Marley Jameston hated, it was being late

And she was exactly that.

Late beyond measure.

Still struggling to pull her shoes on as she hopped down the hallway, she caught a glimpse of her father already setting bacon out on a plate, was he even supposed to be home?

Maybe he had a day off.

She didn't even know if she had enough time to ask.

Using her teeth to pull her sleeve up, she looked down at the watch's hands as they ticked along their route, she had a few more minutes she could waste without getting yelled at.

Finally tugging her shoe on she quickly strode down the hall and into the kitchen where her father was humming as he stood at the stove, taking a closer look as she grabbed a few slices of bacon, she took note of the apron he had comfortably draped over his dress shirt and the front of his black dress pants.

"Don't you have work today?" she questioned quickly dropping a piece of the greasy substance into her mouth.

Bringing the pan of bacon back to the counter where his daughter stood, he gave a slight shrug of his shoulders, "trial at one, until then all I have to do is make sure I have my things before I drive over to the courthouse."

Offering a slight nod of her head as a response, she set the last piece of bacon in her mouth and chewed for a few moments before smiling and wiping her hands off on the kitchen towel, it didn't matter how greasy her hands were, she could always wash the small towel later.

Biding her father a quick goodbye she grabbed her bag from where she'd left it down in the hall and quickly rushed to the door hoping to make it out to the bus stop before it came to pick her up, and much to her luck, it was only a block away by the time she got out to the road.

It seemed for once that the universe was blessing her with some good luck.

But it seemed that luck was short-lived.

Sort of.

When the bus stopped in front of the university, all seemed normal, for the most part.

That was until she went to her first class and realized chaos was breaking out all over the place, and it seemed their teacher was the main cause of said chaos.

She was packing a large briefcase, one that they usually only saw in their mock trials and on a rare occasion when someone was lucky enough to get the privilege of attending a real trial with the teacher.

It'd only happened once that Marley could recall, and it was with a second-year student that she'd taken a class with last year.

The boy's name had been Edward and he'd been a quiet boy, undoubtedly one of the smarter ones among his class, he'd been just as surprised as the rest when he'd been picked.